Monday, June 16, 2008

Hot Air Balloon Fun



I had this idea to make a hot air balloon while looking at the platform from Melanie's new set Jumping for Joy upside down - I saw it looked like a hot air balloon basket so the idea was born. A few weeks before I realized one of my co-workers used to be a hot air balloon pilot. Larry said the best thing that came out of his career was his daughter (the result of meeting his wife). He used to fly them in France and even did it in Austin and almost collided with a plane at the old airport when he needed to do an emergency landing. He was not in the radar of the control tower. Scary, huh?

Unfortunately, my idea was not executing quite right so I left the idea for a few days and came back to it. Sometimes that is the best thing to do so you don't frustrate yourself too much. Soon it was turning into a hot air balloon ride for the 4th of July by adding fireworks from Gina K's Woo-hoo! set then it was DH's idea to put people in it. So I grabbed my All in the Family set and now started to think about our 11th anniversary which is coming up on July 6th.

John and I wanted to get married on the 4th of July (I was heading back to CA from vacation on the 8th and wanted to do it before I left - it's a long story) and when we went to Rusk County (East TX) to get our license, we realized there was a 72-hr waiting period so it allowed us a few days to plan better. We ended up getting married about 8:40 on a warm Sunday morning and we only had 6 family members in attendance. John's grandfather officiated the ceremony in their garden. They lived on 300+ acres and it really was a beautiful ceremony. We had a cake his grandmother made from scratch and spent a few days together before I had to leave.

I had only met him IRL 10 days before we got married; but I knew that I knew that I knew he was 'the one' God had prepared for me. After being with him for about 3 days, I didn't want to leave his side which is why I decided we should get married before my vacation came to an end. It seemed like the right thing to do. So after 11 fun, productive, memorable years I see us with more living to do; work to accomplish, great memories to make, people to bless, a dream home to build & perhaps children to fill it so I am excited about the future!! I love you, Honey (I think he still reads my blog).
Pin It

14 comments on "Hot Air Balloon Fun"

Linsey R on 10:19 AM CDT said...

wow, what an amazing story, Donna! I met my DH on the 4th of July and that holiday is always super special for me because of that. I only knew my hubby for about 10 days too, before moving to Seattle to be w/him a month later! wierd the similarities we have ;) sorry for being such a bad blogger lately, I'm back and promise to catch up on all your great stuff! Hope you have a great day!

Oh, yes--silly me! I LOVE your card! You are so stinkin creative to think of Mel's stamp for your basket! This is amazing! I have have a hot air balloon idea swimming around in my head for a week--again, weird! hehe! hugs, buddy!

Libby Hickson on 2:21 PM CDT said...

What an adorable card - such a clever idea Donna!! And such a nice post about you and your DH!!

Angie Tieman on 3:13 PM CDT said...

What a fabulous card! So creative of you!! And the little people inside are precious! Great story about you and John too, that's amazing...coming up on 11 years after knowing each other 10 days only IRL. Did you talk or email or penpal before that? So cool!

Deb Wood on 5:38 PM CDT said...

Wow fabulous air balloon!! I love all 3 of these cards!! Awesome!

Alex on 5:41 PM CDT said...

What a great post about your husband and you - totally wonderful! And, that balloon card is totally stinkin' adorable! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Cedar Creek on 7:01 PM CDT said...

Yes, I do glance at your blog. Or...umm, Skim. I like pictures!

Carolyn King on 10:39 PM CDT said...

that card is super creative & cute!
what a fantastic story about you and your dh--happy anniversary!

Lee on 1:44 AM CDT said...

Okay.....first.........LOVE the Hot Air Balloon card!!! GENIUS I tell ya!!! You are amazing!! Second........what an awesome story about you and your hubby!!!! Very special and I just know you have so many fantastic blessings yet ahead!!! Hugs!!!

Melanie on 8:20 AM CDT said...

what a romantic story, wahhh!!!

great idea for the balloon basket!!! (I'd been wanting to somethign with it upside down but douldn't figure out what since the angle of it needs ot be viewed from the bottom, ya know?!) Brilliant, the people and fireworks to go with it are perfect!! :)

Pamela Smerker on 9:32 AM CDT said...

Donna this is so adorable! I love hot air balloons and this one is fab-u-lous! you are a genious!!
So happy for you and your hubby! what an inspirational love story.
Hugs

Monika/Buzsy on 9:57 AM CDT said...

What a great story Donna! It is really nice to hear 'fairy tales' these days... Thanks for sharing it with us... we got married the same year... our anniversary is in August. :o)
Great card... love the hot air balloon and the cute images... TFS!

Christina Fischer on 10:32 AM CDT said...

Oh my gosh -- this card is so clever and so darling!! I love your story -- thanks for sharing it :)

tyrymom29 on 7:21 PM CDT said...

What a great story !! I love how you get your ideas Your card looks awesome !!!!

Rose Ann on 3:50 PM CDT said...

This is soooo adorable, and soooo clever Donna!!! I love it!!!

Post a Comment