Sunday, February 5, 2012

Phoebe Bag & Zippy Wallet in Veranda


veranda phoebe
I am happy to report my laptop is not dead anymore!  DH just unplugged all I had plugged into it and it booted right up.  So now I am in the habit of unplugging everything when it’s not in use.  Then I also went out to get a 16 GB sd card to back up my stuff ‘just in case’! 
I was so excited to finally order some Veranda Fabrics by Amanda Murphy (for Robert Kaufman) and make a Spring/Summer bag!  A long time ago I came across this free tutorial for the ‘Phoebe Bag’ by Rebeka Lambert and was waiting to get the perfect fabric I thought would make a perfect bag!  Well, when I was ordering at The Fat Quarter Shop this week (Aurifil thread was the notion of the month for January so it was 20% off), I knew it was time to add some much coveted Veranda fabric!  For the outside of my bag I chose Veranda Sorbet Paisleys and Florals and for the inside (and front tab) I chose Veranda Leaf Ripple Dots.  Isn’t it adorable?  It fits perfectly on my shoulder too, just the right size to tuck in under my arm. 
inside bag
Here is a picture of the inside of the bag and a closer look of the green fabric, isn’t it fun?  I love how the pocket has the tulip with the same leaf ripple in the paisley (total accident, not planned!) but I love it when that happens! 

zippy veranda
Next up is a cute little zippy wallet I made using Anna’s tutorial that I also pinned** a long time ago!  It is the perfect size for credit cards, license, some cash and a little change.  There is a zipper area on the top.  I love the pearl snap on the front!   I think next time I make one, I will increase the size by at least another 1/2” because the cards are super snug inside and I would like a little more room.  But how perfect is this?  I even have some more fabric left so I plan to make a matching makeup bag too, I will just need to get a zipper for it since I used my last white one.

jan leaves
Now for the not so fun part of finally sharing what I did for January’s Sewcalgal Free Motion Quilting Challenge. oh my goodness…this.was.so.hard.  It just doesn’t feel natural, free flowing or anything!  It was so choppy and I was getting so frustrated I wanted to quit!  But, I usually don’t quit that easily and I keep hearing Darlene say that it takes practice, practice, practice.  Which is why we work on an 18” surface.  So, I will keep at it.  I was frustrated that my laptop died before I had the chance to share and upload this challenge in the month it was issued because I didn’t get in the drawing to win something.  oh well.  Next time. 

**About pinning – are you on Pinterest?  I know I haven’t spoke very much about what it is, but I have to tell you it is addicting and SO inspiring!  It replaces bookmarks in your browser, it’s a virtual pinboard where you have pictures of what you pin for later use and you can follow others and they can follow you.  I have added a ‘follow me on 'pinterest’ tab under my photo if you’d like to check out my boards! 

Thanks for stopping by – hope you have a great day and week! 

Sharing on the following link parties this week:
Flamingotoes
Sundae Scoop
Sew Can Do
Sew Darn Crafty
Skip to my Lou
Ta-Da Tuesday!
We Did It Wednesday
A Crafty Soiree
Craftionary 
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Show & Tell Saturday
Along for the Ride
Love Affair with my Brother

Pin It

9 comments on "Phoebe Bag & Zippy Wallet in Veranda"

Katie on 8:36 PM CST said...

Hi Donna! I'm on Pinterest too, love it! Just used your button to follow you.

Your bag is super cute, it will be perfect for spring and summer. Love that you also made a little wallet for it. It's so great you can whip up that kind of thing when you want. I am just beginning so it's a little beyond my skills for now...I'm still working on a straight stitch, LOL! I love the leaves for the challenge. Sounds like it was a lot of work but such a fun look!

Christie on 8:52 PM CST said...

Gorgeous! And what a happy accident with the tulip pocket!

Pam @Threading My Way on 8:53 PM CST said...

Beautiful bag and matching wallet... such bright fun colours. Love the shape of your bag.

Madeleen on 9:03 PM CST said...

Hi Donna, Have been following you on Pinterest for a while - you always post the most interesting and creative things! I LOVE the bag and zippy bag - such nice, bright fabric. Your sewing always inspires me! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle on 10:00 AM CST said...

Oh so fabulous! I love the bag. I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments and women asking where you found it.

Kristy on 10:14 AM CST said...

Beautiful! Saw you at Love Affair! :)

Katy @ Lolly Linens on 8:22 PM CST said...

Love this! Love the fabric!

Hani on 7:47 PM CST said...

Love the cute wallet and the fabric choice

Maria Matter on 1:14 PM CST said...

Fabulous! really like this fun fabric!

Post a Comment