Saturday, July 23, 2011

FNSI results: 1st quilt complete!!


diagonal dreamsWell here it is – my first quilt that I started end of April is finally done!  I would have had it done a few weeks ago, but I couldn’t find my walking foot to do the binding so I had to go and get another one (luckily with a 40% off coupon) but it was the wrong one, I was so disappointed when I found that out last night.  But…when I started to think more about the last time I used it, which happened to be about 3 weeks ago, I tried to recall anything out of the ordinary that may have been on the dining table at the time I quilted it and I remembered my little Longaberger basket that I was putting random things in and there it was!  I am ashamed to say how long I looked for this and the weird places.  Oh well…all is well that ends well!  So last night was the two yr anniversary of the Friday Night Sew In hosted by Heidi and Bobbi and I was really looking forward to it!!  **Edited to Add** I actually won the drawing!  I am going to get this awesome Christmas charm pack "Flurry by Kate Spain" and as Heidi put it, a 'quilting ruler gadget thingy' I am so excited!  Thanks Heidi!!
1st quiltI cut, sewed and ironed the orange binding and got more than 1/2 the hand sewing of the binding on last night before I forced myself to go to bed at 1:00 a.m. and was so excited to finish, I got up after just 6 hrs of sleep, took an outdoor shower, cleaned up the kitchen, made my morning tea and finished it up this morning!  I am really happy with how it turned out and don’t think it looks that bad for being my first one!  I am almost ready to start my next one, which will be a winter rag quilt with blues, white, browns and a splash of red!  Ooh, I can’t wait!  

labelI decided I would venture to make my own label after reading Becca’s post about labeling your quilt this week (did you know she is continuing her quilt class on her blog?  so excited about that!) I happened to be prepared for this too, I can’t believe it!
backEdited this post to add the photos of me holding the blanket off our deck.  John was not at home yesterday for me to do it which is why my first photo has it on the couch.  This is a better was to share it with you I think! 




About a month ago, John got me some iron on image transfer stamped colored transfer paperpaper from Amazon and I put it to good use last night!  It was easy to use.  Here is what it looks like, you can use it in your printer, stamp on it, color.
I stamped a cherry blossom image (because I love them…see my blog banner) from The Journey by There She Goes stamps in rich cocoa memento ink. Then I colored the blossoms with copic markers and cut it out.

ironed onThen, it takes just about 10 seconds for a smaller image, with your iron set to the highest setting to adhere to your fabric.  I used a heavyweight cotton.  Then, I wrote the name of my quilt, my name and the date with permanent makers.  See above photo.  So fun! 

**Last weekend was our quilt shop bus trip and we had SO much fun!!  We met some really great ladies, chatted a lot, shopped a lot (all 28 ladies spent a whopping $8,000+ in 2 days at 6 quilt shops!) I am happy to say although I spent more than I thought I would, I was way under the average!  I will be sharing more of what I bought over the weeks, months as I make things with my purchases.  Unfortunately, this is the only picture from the whole trip and it was right before we left – we were celebrating Christmas in July which explains the elves hats, our bus mom Cheryl gave us.  We also got fun goodie boxes filled with ornament kits, a needle book we could sew and everything we needed to get them completed such as needles, thread, snips.  I made one ornament so far that I’ll share in a future post as this post is so incredibly long!  We just did NOT have enough time to take photos since our shopping time was pretty limited in the shops.  We tried to make the best use of our time as possible!  Stephanie is very new to sewing and I’m so glad we took this trip together, because as I told her that evening, spending time with her was the BEST part of our trip.  Our girls weekend happened to start the day before though, we met for lunch and got pedicures and manicures – it was nice!!
IMG_2973Here is one of the many things I purchased at the shop in Victoria – a quick apron kit.  It was just $10 although I’m pretty sure the fabric only cost about 1/2 that, but I got the pattern to make more!  I started working on this Wednesday night and finished it up last night before I found my walking foot!  I adore this fabric, I wish I had written the name down or purchased more of it. 
Here it is completed – the hand towel is a little off center, but once it’s on, I don’t think apronanyone will be able to tell.  Sorry about the poor photo, I didn’t look cute enough to put it on and model it for you!
Thanks for stopping by and I promise to share some cards soon-I bet some of you may be wondering if I still stamp…

Linking up here:
Chasing Cottons
The Girl Creative
Sew Darn Crafty
Tatertots & Jello
The Little Birdie Blog
Sew Much Ado
Passionately Artistic
The Girl Creative
Sewplicity
Flamingotoes
Somewhat Simple
Sundae Scoop
Six Sister's Stuff
Trendy Treehouse
Skip to my Lou
Sew Can Do
Gingersnaps Crafts
Tea Rose Home Pin It

24 comments on "FNSI results: 1st quilt complete!!"

Unknown on 12:03 PM CDT said...

Hi Donna! I wanted to thank you again for the surprise. I love to see your sewing and quilting, it's a nice break from cards sometimes. How exciting to finish your quilt, and the custom label is awesome! Glad your trip was fun, and the apron turned out really nice. Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt turned out great. Finishes are always so satisfying. FNSI are such fun.

And it sounds like you had a lot of fun on the quilt shop trip.

Sewplicity on 5:53 AM CDT said...

Way to go! This is amazing for your first quilt. Congrats - I'm sure you are thrilled. I'd love for you to share your quilt on my Weekend Craft Hop as an inspiration for others. http://sewplicity.blogspot.com/2011/07/weekend-craft-hop.html -Jennifer

Anonymous said...

great post Donna

buggin2stamp on 11:31 AM CDT said...

Gorgeous quilt Donna! Your sewing projects are inspiring me to do more sewing. I need to get my sewing machine repaired and back soon so I can play.

HoneySage on 12:01 PM CDT said...

Congrats! Life would be boring if we put things away where they belong...LOL! Thanks for sharing!

Kay Lynne on 12:40 PM CDT said...

I think your quilt turned out great. You're not the only one that has lost items--I've done my fair share loosing all types of things :)

Krista Schneider on 1:57 PM CDT said...

great quilt, congrats on your first one! i'm always looking for things in my sewing room that i KNOW are there but i just can't seem to find, lol.

Nicky on 8:16 PM CDT said...

Hi Donna, Your quilt is wonderful, congratulations on a wonderful finish! And for winning the prize draw, enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by my blog today too. Have a great day!

Mrs A on 8:23 PM CDT said...

thats fabulous! and congrats too! all that hard work was worth it!

RobynLouise on 8:36 PM CDT said...

Hi Donna, my first visit to your blog and it's to congratulate you on your FNSI win. That's a lovely first quilt and I adore the colours.
Backtracked through your blog and congratulations on being published and with such wonderful looking cards (not just the published ones) I'm not surprised :D.
You have another follower now!

Tanya on 9:15 PM CDT said...

Great first quilt! The colours are lovely!

Claudette497 on 9:36 PM CDT said...

Congratulations on your FNSI win! Your quilt looks fantastic - I bet no one could tell it was your first one. This is my first time here, and I'm so glad you won the drawing because the "sweet treat" bags you made are such a great idea - I'm looking forward to making these (or at least, something inspired by them) for some co-workers.

Mary Anne Drury on 12:21 AM CDT said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your first quilt (you did an AMAZING JOB !!! great label too!) ... AND congrats on being the FNSI winner !!!

P.S. thanks for visiting me on my blog and for your sweet comment

Theresa on 1:36 AM CDT said...

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt and on your FNSI win. That's a great idea for the label and it turned out beautifully.

Mistea on 2:57 AM CDT said...

what a winner - your first quilt all done and ready for snuggling and FNSI prize too.
Congratulations - your quilt looks fabulous.
Enjoy

Jody Herbert on 4:14 AM CDT said...

Congratulations on your FNSI and being chosen as the winner! Well done! Your quilt looks fantastic.

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com on 9:41 PM CDT said...

Congratulations. Turned out beautiful! :) Following from I Heart Naptime link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog {if you haven‘t already!}. Hope to see you there.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Casmiles on 12:52 AM CDT said...

Read this the other night and didn't have time to post. It looks like you had SO MUCH FUN on your bus quilting trip. Your quilt turned out fabulous - can't believe it's your first one. You ae so talented...can't imagine what other fun and exciting things you'll share with us in the future.

Camille on 7:13 PM CDT said...

You have got to be kidding me! This is your first quilt? It is amazing!!! You are so talented!! Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We are so grateful for your support and we hope that you will be back tomorrow to share more great ideas!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

Sparky on 5:38 PM CDT said...

Hello, you should have entered this in our banner contest...lovely it is and your 1st..sew darn impressed...toodles mdm samm

amy smart on 11:23 PM CDT said...

Donna, I love this! The fabrics and colors are awesome. I am so impressed!!

Melanie on 2:13 PM CDT said...

look at all your cute stuff! your quilt and label turned out great! gorgeous colors, what a work of heart!

Terri Ann on 2:02 PM CST said...

My first quilt used the same fabric you used from Joann's http://www.flickr.com/photos/terriann/6667809163/ Yours came out beautifully, I'll definitely be trying a flying geese/triangle pattern soon too!

Post a Comment