Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Belated Mother’s Day and quilt progress


pink white & kraft mothers day
Sorry I am so late with the belated wishes for a Happy Mother’s Day and a card to share but you will see why later in the post!  Here is a card I made my mother-in-law for Mother’s Day (John’s stepmom Shirley) which she adored!  Little does she know the card came together so quickly like 10+ minutes!  I used Melanie’s Branching Out and Notes to Mom for the sentiment.  I made my card centered around this scrap of ribbon that came off of a notepad.  I loved the idea of pairing the pink & white with kraft pure luxury cardstock (the branching out rectangle was already stamped from a previous stamping session so I did cheat a little!)  She loved it nonetheless and that’s what counted!  Even more so, she loved what I put inside, one of the pictures we took in Jamaica on our cruise. 
So, hopefully you are not bored with seeing a Mother’s Day card after the fact (you can always switch up the greeting for another occasion real easily!), but I have been busy working on my 1st quilt (and the top is finished as of this evening!) I worked hard on it Sat, Sun afternoon and tonight because I need to get some stamping done this week!
helping with layout
As you recall from a previous post, I am taking an on-line quilt class with Rebecca of Chasing Cottons and I was determined to finish the top and I did!  This is a picture of John helping me figure out the pattern, the quilt almost took up our whole island (little did I know when we planned for the island, it would double as a sewing station)  ha!  I went with diagonal triangles for this quilt.
pattern layout
Here is a picture of the ‘planned’ design.  We got the design down in less than 15 minutes and I started sewing 12:00 on Sat. while John went out geocaching with some friends.  He rolled in about 8:00 p.m. and I was still sewing (but I took several breaks during the day to eat, nap and watch a little t.v. *snicker*
3 rows left
By Sunday, I had this done (just worked on it a few hours since we were out most of the day visiting parents for Mother’s Day).  I was so excited it was taking shape so quickly!! I looked forward to working on it as soon as I got home from work today and I did!  John was so sweet, he was washing dishes and had put dinner together so I got started right away! done with front
A few hours later and this is what I had (took several breaks to share some exciting news with some friends and family a few times – don’t worry the news will be shared here soon, promise!) It’s past my bedtime and my quilt front is complete!  It will be a lap quilt, roughly 4’ x 4.5’ I believe.  Eeeks! I can hardly believe I MADE THIS!!!  


I also wanted to share with you, that on Friday May 20th, there will be a Friday Night Sew In going on, with Heidi and Bobbi
I am looking forward to it since I had to miss the last one since we were on our cruise.  If you like to sew, we'd love to have you join us!  I'm not sure if I will be done with my quilt or not, but I have plenty of other sewing projects in line to do! Pin It

7 comments on "Happy Belated Mother’s Day and quilt progress"

Jodi Collins on 11:46 AM CDT said...

LOVE your card Donna! That ribbon is GORGEOUS and totally pops! Your quilt looks DELISH! My mom quilts too!!

Unknown on 12:28 PM CDT said...

Your card is very pretty. I love your quilt top. Congrats on finishing it.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 9:24 PM CDT said...

Beautiful card, Donna and gorgeous quilt! That is AWESOME! I couldn't imagine all the work that took!

Jessie/knightrone on 1:28 AM CDT said...

GORGEOUS card, and I am LOVING the quilt. My Mom is a quilter, and I want to learn so bad!

Cedar Creek on 6:01 PM CDT said...

Your DH is so awesome. So helpful and encouraging! I look forward to hearing your Fab news!

Lisa on 2:02 PM CDT said...

Love the card you shared and thank you also for sharing the link for the quilting tutorial! I have been toying with the idea of taking a quilting class, but it looked too hard and complicated. Maybe now I'll have a go at it!

Lisa

Vanessa on 8:42 PM CDT said...

Your quilt top is beautiful! I am SO impressed that John is right by your side helping out his woman! You go John!

One day I will finish my quilt that I started in college and is currently sitting in a duffel bag in my closet. Sigh.

Post a Comment