Tuesday, May 3, 2011

To Learn = To Live What I’ve been up to lately


quiltCbutton1
learn/lərn/Verb
1. Gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught.
2. Commit to memory.
I truly believe when you stop learning, you stop living!  The brain is like a sponge and just like a sponge, if it is not used (wet with water) then it gets dry and old.  If you don’t wet your brain with knowledge, it can get old too!  I can’t remember what year it was but for a while now I have learned something new to add to my repertoire!  One year it was learn to swim, another learn to sew, another learn to make jewelry, you get the idea!  So, lately I have re-discovered my love for sewing so I have added learn to quilt as my goal for 2011.  So, I have been researching and found a new blog last week while blurfing around all the sewing blogs and found Rebecca of Chasing Cottons, all the way in Australia who is teaching an on line Quilt Class – everything one needs to know to make a quilt in 12 weeks!  Although I discovered it when she was on Week 4, I quickly made up for lost time and last Thursday I went shopping for my materials and by Sunday evening, I was done making 120 half square triangles! 
IMG_2642
Here is a picture of all the patterns I got in my charm pack – I was quickly drawn to the freshness of the blues, oranges and browns in this fabric. 

IMG_2647
After I stacked all my pinned white & pattern squares, I had to draw a line on the diagonal and sew.  Then, I cut each diagonal and then pressed the 2 fabrics. 

IMG_2648
Here’s what the triangles look like, I was playing with a few variations of patterns I see can be made (the chevron upper left orange pattern is based on Rebecca’s drawing here). 
So this is why I haven’t stamped much or posted many cards on my blog – I am distracted with sewing!  I know this is a stamping blog – so bear with me, promise to share more stamping soon!  Pin It

5 comments on "To Learn = To Live What I’ve been up to lately"

Lorie on 10:53 PM CDT said...

I am SO impressed! Good for you!

Lori on 4:23 PM CDT said...

Good luck with your quilt, you look to be starting out with a bang! Can't wait to see how you progress.

Vicky on 9:20 PM CDT said...

Oh wow, you've done so much in such a short space of time. I can't wait to see how your quilt turns out. See you in class.

Bec on 8:25 PM CDT said...

OHHH Im so so SO pleased I can help you on your journey of learning to QUILT!! I love your colours.. and I cant wait to see more of your quilt. Thanks for linking up and sharing with the rest of the class...Beautiful! xx

Affordable Medical Insurance on 4:11 AM CDT said...

SO impressed! Good for you! Good luck with your quilt, you look to be starting out with a bang!

Post a Comment