Sunday, January 15, 2012

SewCalGal Free Motion Quilting Challenge, covered composition book and my favorite bag!


covered notebook
Ever since I can remember, I have had on my list for the new year to learn something new!  It has been fun too!  Last year it was learn to quilt and I completed my first one in July.  Well, this long weekend I was determined to finish my 2nd quilt which I started last September and I am still working on it but I do have a sneak peek later in this post!  In the meantime, I figured I would share one of the things I committed to learn more of this year; to free motion quilt better because I have several quilts on my to do list for the year and want to do that, instead of send it off to a long arm quilter to do it.   I made the pledge for the 2012 monthly Free Motion Quilt Challenge.   Read all about it – if you’re interested, it’s not too late to sign up!

Several months ago, I discovered SewCalGal’s blog where she shares insights on sewing products, blogs, etc. I made an easy composition book cover covered notebook insideat her recommendation, to take notes during the challenge. I love how it turned out! I especially love the placement of the big red button for the closure – perfectly on the white flower!  Each month, we are going to have a FMQ expert share their tips for free motion quilting and issue a challenge for us to practice.  I am still working on getting my sample quilt sandwiches together!  There are prizes each month as well as grand prizes at the end of the 12 month long commitment.  How fun! 


IMG_3142I got the pattern for my cool 12-pocket bag I have not shared yet, from SewCalGal – using my FAVORITE fabrics from my quilt shop bus trip last July!   I absolutely fell in LOVE with them the moment I saw them and bought 1 yard of each!  I love the black background, bright floral and geometric designs on the fabric!   This is so ME!!





12-pocket bagHer pattern was very easy to follow!  I use this bag all the time to carry my projects, books, sometimes lunch to work!  It fits a ton of stuff in it!   Imagine – 12 pockets!  Sometimes I have to go through them all just to find what I am looking for that I stuff in them!



12 pocket bag


Check out all the room inside!  Perhaps if I make another bag, I might put a zipper on the top or the inside.  I took these photos out on our deck in the hopes I could get a better ‘natural’ photo! 




IMG_3757
Here is a sneak peek of the progress I made this week/weekend on the rag quilt!    I am so excited to finish this and snuggle with it for another few months before it gets put away until the Fall! 

Thanks for stopping by and see ya soon with the quilt reveal! 
Sharing on the following link parties: Craftionary, Be Different Act Normal, A Crafty Soiree, Flamingotoes, Along for the ride, I {Heart} Nap Time, Sew Darn Crafty, Love Affair with my Brother, Skip To My Lou Pin It

8 comments on "SewCalGal Free Motion Quilting Challenge, covered composition book and my favorite bag!"

SewCalGal on 11:44 AM CST said...

Your 12 pocket bag looks really cute. Great job. I also love your notebook cover.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Rose @ Walnut Acre on 2:02 PM CST said...

I love the 12 pocket bag! I could definitely use a bag like that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, Love your quilt projects and the idea of learning something new. Please explain free motion quilting. Also appreciate advice on profile type. My plan is to become computer literate/savvy and this is a good start!! Thanks,Pam (berrypamela@yahoo.com)

Madeleen on 3:06 PM CST said...

Hi Donna, Love the book cover (cute fabric) and the bag is awesome! Can be used for anything really! Thanks for sharing!

Tammie on 10:03 AM CST said...

Donna, I love your book cover. Super cute. Great job.

Hani on 4:28 PM CST said...

I love the book cover and the bag fabric.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party
Love
Hani

Maggie on 4:39 PM CST said...

Hi Donna! Your book cover is beautiful and I, too, love that button placement! So happy you enjoyed the tutorial! PS...I love your bag too...adding it to my list of things to make!!!

XOXO,
Maggie

Maria Matter on 9:04 PM CST said...

beautiful projects Donna! lovely fabrics too!!

I would love you to share these at my linky party, Inspire Me Fridays!
I think others would enjoy seeing them!

Post a Comment