Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Gina K Sew Fun Blog Hop!


May 12 hop

Thanks for joining Gina K's Design Team today for our monthly hop!  Our theme is SEWING, where along the way you will find a variety of sewing techniques from hand sewing to faux sewing and lots of inspiration!  If you are here after visiting Deb Felt’s blog, then you are in the right place but if not, please start at Gina K’s blog  so you don’t miss any inspiration along the way!!

I couldn’t have been more thrilled about this month’s theme because I have been occupying a big chunk of my time with sewing and thoughts of sewing!  Since I brought my sewing machine out of storage and got it services, I have been perusing many inspirational blogs out there gathering tons of ideas, going fabric shopping, making projects and planning more!  One of the things I’ve wanted to do lately was replace my extremely dated  pin cushion (see picture at left, you know the one!)  So I made a cute one out of a tuna can following this tutorial with a few tweaks!   I wanted to have a little weight to my tuna can so it didn’t easily move from my work surface,IMG_2678 so before I glued my cushion to the can, I added some World’s Best Cat Litter to the bottom!

IMG_2682

 

 

I also wanted to add some ribbon and a button to the cushion area since I kept the can a blank chocolate spray paint canvas (John said it looks like a cupcake!)

For my card, I used Nana’s Needlework and made a paper-pieced quilt!  It’s so fun that I actually ‘get’ how a quilt comes together since I am taking an on-line quilt class!  I also used the IMG_2686woodgrain technique to make the quilt hanger shelf and ‘frame’ for my sentiment.  And of course, I had to add some stitching to my card to finish it off!

Now you’re headed to Emily’s blog to continue on with the Sew Fun inspiration! 

Card Supplies
Stamps:
Nana’s Needlework
Cardstock: White, Sweet Corn, Crème de Menthe, Chocolate
pure luxury, Basic Grey Hopscotch
Ink: Rich Cocoa Memento, Wild Honey & Vintage Photo distress, White Craft
Accessories:
Chocolate Mix buttons, double-stitch chocolate ribbon, brown cotton thread

Pin It

38 comments on "Gina K Sew Fun Blog Hop!"

richardbreaks on 8:18 AM CDT said...

very cute! Love the pin cushion!

Cat Tidwell on 8:24 AM CDT said...

Awesome Donna! I really love that pin cushion too!

DebraM on 8:27 AM CDT said...

You just can't get any cuter than this. Love the card and the pin cushion.

Carolina on 8:37 AM CDT said...

Can't decide which I love more - the adorable card or the beautiful pin cushion. You are so talented my friend!

Lorie on 9:10 AM CDT said...

Wow! Just wow! You have really knocked this challenge out of the park!

Tina on 9:14 AM CDT said...

Wow girl... you go with the quilting classes!! I'm to anal to do that... I tried once... NOT... I need to be able to cut SUPER straight and they all have to match up. Didn't happen for me. LOL

LOVE the card and your pin cushion is fabulous!!!

Celeste on 9:20 AM CDT said...

"Sew" adorable! Lovin' the quilt design.
Your pin cushion does look like a cupcake!!!

Kary on 9:32 AM CDT said...

Adorable projects!! Love your pin cushion idea and the gorgeous quilt card. Wow,I didn't know one can take an online class for quilting. Awesome!

An'Jenic G. on 9:49 AM CDT said...

wow i really like the ideal you came up with for your pin cushion. John would be right. It dose look like a cupcake. :-)

StampinCatMom on 10:27 AM CDT said...

Holy cow, Donna, these two projects are so darn adorable!!

Sandy on 10:32 AM CDT said...

What an adorable card and the pin cushion is a stoke of genius.

creativearts on 11:31 AM CDT said...

Love the "quilt" card.

Tamara on 11:35 AM CDT said...

Great Pin cusion!! I never thought abpout the Kitty litter!

Verna Angerhofer on 11:42 AM CDT said...

What a neat pin cushion and love the pieced quilt design. Wow! Quilts were my mom's biggest projects that she did with her sewing machine and I never helped with the sewing but did help her work out original designs. I love that card you did. Wonderful!

Unknown on 12:09 PM CDT said...

Donna, I am so so glad I did this hop today if for nothing else to come to your blog, I too have been wanting to update and get rid of my OLD and the same one you have pin cusion, now I can make a new one via your help, thanks so much for your post, love it and your card. WONDERFUL job, and thanks so muhc,

HUGS
Donna Przyby..... DJ

Joyce Thurston said...

love your quilt.

Lynn B. on 1:02 PM CDT said...

WOWEE, WOW, WOW! Your card is truly a miniature work of art. What a lot of work it must have been to paper piece that tiny quilt!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card and love the adorable pin cushion.
crafty teacher

Unknown on 1:54 PM CDT said...

The pin cushion is just adorable, Donna!!!

Jan on 2:10 PM CDT said...

What a beautiful little card. Made with love :)

mitz on 2:26 PM CDT said...

... you are ** sew ** creative,.. both of your projects are tops.. ty
mitz_zee@yahoodotco

Sandy on 2:35 PM CDT said...

What a great gift idea!! The pin cushion is 'sew' cute and the card...well, it may be the only way I'll ever get quiliting:)

Sharon on 2:58 PM CDT said...

What a cute card and great sentiment!

Kris in Alaska on 3:07 PM CDT said...

How very sweet! TFS!

Kris in Alaska
funamom at yahoo dot com

Linda on 3:09 PM CDT said...

your cards work just beautiful!

Unknown on 4:34 PM CDT said...

Donna,
Guess you lost all your previous comments, thanks so much, I made my pin cushion last night out of the tuna can, it came out good, am quite please with it, thanks much for post ing about this, I had the same old pin cushion!!! So happy to have a new one. Your card and cushion were wonderful!!!
Thanks
Donna

Sandy on 5:50 PM CDT said...

Donna, what a beautiful gift idea!! Love the quilted card with stitched framing:)

joy on 9:07 PM CDT said...

Donna, how lovely! I love the quilt with the little frame above it. The detailing on the frame is clever.

Marsha on 9:21 AM CDT said...

Adorable card.

Payne Holler Cards on 1:36 PM CDT said...

eeeks! these are adorable! wonderful gift set....

Sharon Harnist on 2:50 PM CDT said...

My Mom has that pin cushion, Donna! Love your new one -- great idea I'll have to try!

Unknown on 3:08 PM CDT said...

Sew Clever, Donna!

Mary Hansen said...

Such a talent you have! Loving all the sewing tips and inspiration.

Jill on 10:59 PM CDT said...

love the pin cushion and great card

Jessie/knightrone on 11:36 PM CDT said...

How fabulous, Donna!!

Gayle on 8:57 AM CDT said...

Beautiful work Donna. Your updated pin cushion is too cute.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! Love all the elements of both projects!

Vanessa on 8:40 PM CDT said...

Wow, Donna! you are a crafty diva. . .seriously! I have some money saved away to buy myself a sewing machine. You are totally inspiring me to take the plunge. I found out if I buy it from JoAnn's, I have free unlimited sewing classes for life as long as I save my receipt.

Anyway, I love your pin cushion. I am always amazed with people who can read a tutorial and have an awesome project at the end. I am not one of those people. High five girlfriend!

Post a Comment