Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fabric, a sewing table and FMQ Challenge!


fabric

We had a fun day today – took John’s truck to get worked on and while we waited for it to be done, we took a jaunt down to Lockhart (home of some FAMOUS BBQ) to get some geocaches (for him) and discovered a local fabric store called Simple Sewing Solutions.  I was taken aback at some of the prices ($5.00 a yard for great quality quilting fabrics!)

doretta

Doretta, featured in the photo on the right, is the shop owner.  She is a sweetheart, very helpful and friendly.  She shared that the reason her prices are so low is because her insomnia keeps her up at night scouring the internet for great clearance fabric and she passes on the savings to her customers!  Isn’t that awesome?  Did you see the gorgeous fabrics in my first photo?  Well, I paid as little as $5.00 per yard for a lot of them and the only full price was the aqua which is Basic Grey grunge.  Gotta love that!

sewing table

I was so excited when we got home because the sewing table I ordered on Amazon arrived!  I noticed that because I was sewing on the dining table, my shoulders were too hunched up and it’s better for your sewing machine to be at a level where your shoulders are relaxed.  What a difference this made!  I am so happy with it. 

So I was able to tackle this month’s free motion quilting challenge on SewCalGal’s blog.  This one is by Ann Fahl.  I actually feel better about this one than the one I did in January where I was ready to quit.  But, I am so not there yet by all means!  Although I finally got my tension right and it’s more comfortable to sew with my table, it still just doesn’t ‘fee'l’ natural!  I think my main problem is that I end up going too fast with the foot pedal and it should be going the same speed as my hands moving the fabric.  It is quite a challenge to get them synced.  I practiced loops & twist (larger photo), left to right: spirals, loop & stars, loop & flowers and loop & hearts.  I need to backtrack to February’s challenge next, which is feathers.  I just wanted to get a challenge done in the month it was issued first! 

So that was our Saturday, a fun one!  I am pooped now so I need to go rest a little.  All the while I fit in housecleaning and laundry so I deserve to sit in front of the tv for a little while.

Thanks for stopping by!  Hope you’re having a great weekend too!

Pin It

1 comments on "Fabric, a sewing table and FMQ Challenge!"

Madeleen on 5:24 PM CST said...

WOW! You've had a super busy weekend Donna! I really admire your sewing skills and would make such a mess sewing loops, etc. LOL

Post a Comment