Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FS179: With Sympathy


FS179 with sympathy

I’m sad to say I had an occasion to make a sympathy card this past weekend.  My childhood friend’s (Allison) mom Carmen died on Friday.  I was numb when I read her post on Facebook on Saturday, not surprised since Carmen had been sick off and on for months prior (and was 82 years old with recent heart problems). 

I was sad because she was one of the first of many mother figures in my life.  Growing up, there were times I spent more time over their house than my own since she lived around the corner from me and there were no kids my age who lived on my street at all!  I was thrilled when my mom allowed me to start going walking over there by myself (many times someone would always have to walk me to the corner until they would see me walk up to her house).  Allison and I met at 5 years old and have kept in touch all these years even after graduating although we haven’t seen one another in about 10 years – we have many many happy and fun memories which is why I said in this card I mailed to Allison that her mom & dad (who died last May) will always hold a special place in my heart!  I hope this card gives Allison the feeling of a hug in the mail since she and her family are in my thoughts & prayers.

When I sat down on Sunday to make this card, I reached for my Care & Comfort set by Taylored Expressions and paired it with Miniature Motifs (background sentiment stamped on) and CreativiTEA set (label) as well as papers from October Afternoon Fly a Kite.  I used the SCS Featured Stamper Challenge {FS179} and used this card of Stephanie’s to CASE.  I embellished my card with a few punched flowers & cream glitter candy dots and some of my favorite ribbon!  Lastly, of course I had to distress everything a little with some Tim Holtz distress inks (I am SO hooked on that lately!)

Thank you for stopping by today…

Pin It

3 comments on "FS179: With Sympathy"

Kathy Martin on 7:40 PM CDT said...

What a lovely sympathy card! :)

Lori on 11:22 AM CDT said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Donna. You and your friend are in my prayers. Your card is very soothing.

Michelle on 2:34 PM CDT said...

Sympathy cards are always hard, but yours is lovely. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss...and yours.

Post a Comment