Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Update on Derek 02/18, addr to send cards & blog candy!!


Here is the original post from last week - With a Heavy Heart where I shared a dear family friend's 2 yr-old grandson was burned badly in an accident at home. I have an update today; a few of you have already contacted me privately to send him a card and I thank you for it! I gave Kay's address out to them & now I request for more of my readers to bless him/their family if you'd like to send a card, please email me for the address texanwife at yahoo dot com (also under my profile on the right).

UPDATE from Kay 2/18: "She (Shawna) just called. He took his sweet time waking up after surgery and is now playing in a chocolate milk shake. The grafts have taken. The bleeding has stopped. The new antibiotic is working as it should. The medication for nerve damage (I forgot the name) is controlling the involuntary shaking in his legs. He may only be in the hospital a couple more days to begin physical therapy to learn to straighten his legs again so he can walk upright and to make sure Shawna and Eddie know how to change the dressings each day.

Tell everyone thank you—prayer is a powerful tool. The family truly appreciates all the love and concern that has been shown for Derek. Kay"


This brought happy, grateful tears to my eyes!! Our prayers are heard! I am planning to go visit him to take my card & gift this evening after work. My request to have get well cards and/or little toy (Kay said he is into cars & trucks!) is still open and I will keep this open until the end of February so he gets more stuff sent to him at his home! I will keep track of those who participate & place your names in a drawing for some blog candy the first weekend in March to give the mail time to get to him.

**Blog Candy is shaping up but there is more to come from me! I guarantee it will be GOOD. Once you send him something, please comment on this post and/or email me to let me know so I can keep track of participants.

**Edited to Add**List of Blog Candy items**
1. Your choice of any Gina K. Designs stamp set valued at $19.95 or less!! (donated by Gina K)

2. Your choice of any unmounted Starving Artistamps or Doodlefactory set $24.95 or less!! (Donated by Tracey Berkey)
3. Papertrey Ink 1st Year Anniversary set (never used, donated by me)
4. Stamp a Sweet Impression set by Taylored Expressions (Donated by Taylor VanBruggen)
Pin It

14 comments on "Update on Derek 02/18, addr to send cards & blog candy!!"

Gabriela on 11:26 AM CST said...

Donna, thank you for the update and especially for the address. Much appreciated.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 12:30 PM CST said...

Thanks for the update, Donna! I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers! I sent him a card last week, so hopefully he's received it or will tomorrow!

Alex on 4:17 PM CST said...

Oh, my heart goes out to them Donna!! Thanks for keeping us updated, I will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers!! My card will be going out tomorrow!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Christi Flores on 8:15 PM CST said...

Thanks for keeping us updated Donna. My heart goes out to that sweet little boy and his family. I will get a card out to him tomorrow.

Melanie on 7:24 AM CST said...

This rainy day is perfect for me to spend some time going through our kids things to see what we can pass alon! Hopefulyl some very gently used books and things my kids enjoyed woullike anew home with him!

retiredheather on 2:01 PM CST said...

What a lovely thing you are doing. I will be proud to help out. I am making the card today and will let you know when I mail it. I do sent prayers of hope for the whole family.
Hugs
Heather

Rose Ann on 5:44 PM CST said...

I have been thinking of, and praying for little Derek. I sent him a card a few days ago, but now think it may be a good idea to send him something else (toy or book). I will be e-mailing you. Hugs!!

Valarie (vampme3) on 7:21 PM CST said...

Best wishes to Derek and his family! Will put a card in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for doing this for them!

Val Florer
vampme3@yahoo.com
htt;://www.valspaperobsession.blogspot.com

Patti J on 10:30 PM CST said...

Donna, Thank you so much for doing this for Derek. I will certainly get a card out for him asap. These burn stories are always difficult for me. My DH was burned in 1980 over 80% of his body, and we pretty much lived in the burn unit for several months. There were so many beautiful babies and children that were enduring such pain. We will never pass up a chance to help when we can, and will keep Derek and his family in our prayers. Thanks again for the info.

MiamiKel on 6:56 PM CST said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your darling baby grandson. I would love to send him a card/gift - how would I got about that? My dd spent a week in the hospital after an accident and my heart goes out to his parents. (((( 's )))))

Karen Motz on 7:31 AM CST said...

Thanks for the updates Donna. I've sent Derek a card. Hugs...

Crazy Creations on 8:53 PM CST said...

Ill send a card but were is the addy I will say a prayer Sarah

Kay D on 9:23 PM CST said...

Hi Donna!
I just want you to know I think what you're doing is wonderful. Hopefully, the cards we send little Derek will make him feel a little better. I got my card in the mailbox this evening (but it won't be picked up until tomorrow morning). If you'd like to see the card, it's on my blog:
http://willtradesleepforstamps.blogspot.com/2009/02/sending-our-thoughts-to-derek.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, I continue to pray for Derek and the family. I think it's wonderful how you've shown love for him and the family, and I appreciate you inviting us to be a part of his healing! Blessings to you, Donna!
Kathy Kelsheimer shecop@charter.net

Post a Comment