Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Difficult post to share…


IMG_1232

Sadly, last Friday December 18, we had to say good-bye to our precious cat Chica who sauntered into our lives on a dark September night 9 years ago.  I had just concluded the presentation of my first Pampered Chef kitchen show as a consultant and we had a house full!  I believe we had about 25 people there and as I was saying good-bye to some friends, this little cat (she was probably less than 12 wks old) meowed and approached our door step.  She came back to our house the next few evenings, and on the 3rd day, I believe…we let her in the house with us.  We already had 2 big dogs but we kept them apart from one another.  I think she liked having the attention and a nice warm place to lay her head (on John).  I can still see the vision of them laying on the couch together.  After talking ourselves out of keeping her, she left and didn’t return.  However, we found ourselves actually missing her.  So we made a deal – if she came back, we would keep her.  The next day she did.  So we took her in, got cat stuff, took her to the vet for shots and to get fixed and she was all ours!  She was a lot of fun, a little sassy and pretty affectionate when she wanted to be.  We ended up getting her a companion {Elsie} 8 months later and with the exception of the first few days of adjusting, they got along so well – they were sisters, buddies!  I wish I had more pictures to share but I believe they are on the server and we don’t have access to them.  I took countless pictures of them sleeping together, playing, and in my heart is where I hold more precious memories.

The above photo was taken last year when Chica was in better health.  She lived in 4 different houses with us and I am sad when I think of her not moving out to the property with us.  However, after we made the painful and heart-wrenching decision to have the vet euthanize her, we took her wrapped up in one of her favorite blankets and buried her out at the property. 

I can’t remember the last time I cried all day and night (oh wait – I remember, it was last month when we got bad news about our dog Shelby, who happens to be hanging in there at the moment).  Chica’s failing health temporarily went to the back burner although it was still a concern to us and reality that we would not have her forever.  It was truly a sad day and weekend for us.  It was the first time either of us had to make this decision and unfortunately I can’t say it would be the last because we will always have pets, I’m sure of it.   

We miss her tremendously and I find myself so sad at times that part of our ‘family unit’ has been seriously compromised that I haven’t had any motivation to stamp. I miss her greeting us at the front door, leaving her perch from below the pool table.  I miss her running so quickly when she heard the rustle of her treat package.  I miss the way she would nudge at my hand to make me hurry to give her treats.  I miss her meowing when she was hungry although it annoyed me.  I miss her bringing in ‘special gifts’ from outside like snakes and mice.  I miss seeing her lay out in the sun.  I miss seeing her play with stray things on the floor.  I miss seeing her propped up on the couch like a person.  I miss her laying all over anything we would be working on, like papers or our clothes.  I miss not being able to pick her up and snuggle against her forehead.  I miss when she wanted to be close to us, she would lay down and either reach out a paw to touch us or rest her head on our leg or hand.  I just miss her. 

Chica left little paw prints on our hearts forever; we will remember all the good, fun times we were blessed to have with her although we feel it should have been longer. 

I have to share with you a sweet prayer my 3 1/2 yr old niece Gabby recently prayed for me – this is directly from my oldest sister, her mommy:

“I told Gabby that your heart was sad because your pets were not feeling well.  So she prayed ‘Dear God, please make Auntie Donna not feel sad anymore that her pets are sick.  Make them feel better so they aren't sick anymore and Auntie Donna is happy, Thank you, Jesus’" – isn’t that just precious?!  I have to believe God heard her prayer and is trying his hardest to make me happy right now! 

Pin It

10 comments on "Difficult post to share…"

Cassie on 10:06 PM CST said...

Oh Donna, I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are special beings that love us regardless and make us feel good when we don't. I pray God will heal your broken heart.

~Cassie

The Wired Angel on 10:06 PM CST said...

Your post was so sad to read.. and I feel for you. Losing a pet is like losing a member of your family. My heart hurts for you. Hugs from here to there.

{pam} on 11:03 PM CST said...

i soooo know your pain and sadness!!! i had to make that same decision 2 years ago . . . and i can honestly say it is the hardest thing i have ever had to do. in time your heart will heal . . . and you will have nothing but wonderful memories of her! {{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Beth S on 8:13 AM CST said...

Hi Donna. My heart goes out to you and your family. My girl (Jessie, dog) died in my arms 7 yrs ago Dec 23. I cried for a month I missed her so much. We have no children and she was my world. I now have 2 new girls (golden retrievers). The 1st helped me get thru it. The 2nd we got a year later. Please know that there are others that understand your pain and realize that she was more than just a pet to you. They are family.

Lydia Fiedler on 8:58 AM CST said...

Oh Donna..

I know this pain so well, and the empty spaces a beloved fur person leaves behind. My heart just aches for you. Thank you for sharing this with us. I wish I could hug you.

xoxo

DoodleFactory on 10:24 AM CST said...

This made me tear up, but thank you for sharing the story of how Chica entered and affected your lives. Hugs to you.

Lisa Hjulberg on 12:33 PM CST said...

Awww, Debbie, my heart goes out to you, dear girl. I've been through the same and it is very hard. I still miss one of my cats who has been gone now for 20 years. We had to put her to sleep and it killed us! We had to make that difficult decision again several years ago for our beloved dog, and then our sweet baby who took her place was snatched by an owl early one morning. I'll never fully get over that. Pets are definitely part of the family. In time, the pain will ease and you'll have all the happy memories in your heart for always.

Blessings to you... and Merry Christmas!

Lisa

Casmiles on 7:35 PM CST said...

Dearest Donna, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your famil. I'm so sorry for your loss of Chica. As a "mom" of two babies - standard poodles, I know these creatures are so much more than pets. They ARE our family members. I had a scare with my baby girl (almost 10) this past week with 2 rushes to the vet. Xrays and labs show nothing so that caused more worry because she was not getting better. I'm thankful she's doing much better now, and am hoping whatever it was has passed. But I was totally at a loss as to how to cope. The main thing, as you know, is that the many memories and pictures will keep her alive forever in your hearts. Chica is watching over you and she's in good hands. I hope, in spite of your loss, that you have a wonderful holiday.

Teri M on 9:02 AM CST said...

Dear Donna,
The previous posts say it beautifully, but I wanted to add my support. My heart goes out to you, as I have had to put down my beloved cats as well. I still cry when I think of them, but I will see them again. If you haven't read the beautiful poem entitled "Rainbow Bridge", I believe it will give you some comfort. And to Lisa H, my heart also goes out to you. I know it must be devestating to have lost your beautiful pet in such a tragic way. May God help to heal your hearts, Donna and Lisa.

Rose Ann on 10:59 PM CST said...

Though I have not been "on" the puter much lately...I have been thinking about you since you told me of Chica's failing health. I am so very sorry, and have shed some tears after reading your post here. Sending you huge cyber hugs, Donna. Time will heal, and I know you'll always cherish the time you had with your sweet kitty.

Post a Comment