Friday, October 16, 2009

Center of Attention Product Spotlight - Stencils & Maya Mist


Today some members of the Baker's Dozen are sharing a product spotlight on Crafter's Workshop stencils and Maya Mist, available in the TE Store.

When I brainstormed about what to make for my project, I naturally wanted to make my adorable 3 1/2 yr old niece Gabby a surprise (like I don't make her enough stuff). I made her this cute card using princess cuppie from Trick or Sweet II and personalized it with 'Princess Gabriella' which is what her daddy calls her using my JustRite 15 pt font. My cardbase is regal rose, a great match for the pink Maya Mist I used. 

When I was reading about the Maya Mist, I discovered it can be used on fabric so I bought a white t-shirt at Hobby Lobby and washed/dried it. Then, I laid the floral frenzy stencil down on the shirt (blocking off the areas around it and proceeded to spray the mist all over it (took about 12-15 sprays for good coverage). Then, moved it along and forgot to cover up where I just sprayed (oh well).  By the time I finished, I was a pro at it.  After I sprayed the shirt, I heat set it with my heat tool.  I then finished the shirt with some pink and purple trim from Wal-Mart. The product was easy to use but since the surface is non-porous, when I picked it up, I got the Maya Mist ink all over my hands. Next time, I think I will use disposable gloves or use a tool to pick it up. When I cleaned the stencil, I just ran it under water to re-use it so the ink on top did not transfer to my next area. When completely done, you can rinse with soap and water.  Below are pictures of the steps I took to cover the t-shirt.  Of course covering a cardbase is much quicker and easier, but I wanted to show you how you can make a simple cute gift for a little girl (or boy depending on what stencil you use) for about $2 a gift. 

 



And here is the adorable recipient of this handmade t-shirt, Gabriella!  I just love this picture her mommy took of her wearing it - doesn't it look like she's saying, 'ta da' or look at me!! 

She was so cute when she got the package and opened it, her mommy asked her if she liked it and she nodded yes with a smile.  "It's my favorite colors!" she exclaimed.  Her mommy said, "Auntie Donna made this for you" and she said, "how did she do that?" and her mommy said "you're going to have to ask her".  So she called me right away to thank me and quickly said, "how did you do that?"  It's incredible how curious she was and recognized the uniqueness of it.  I tried to explain in the most simplest of ways for her to understand.  Then, when her mommy told her they would need to take a picture of her wearing it so Auntie Donna could share it on the computer with her friends, she said "but they can't go in my drawers and mess up my clothes!" She took it literally - lol - her mommy will be sure she sees this post so she can understand better. Gabby, Auntie Loves You!!  You are so precious - I love this picture!  Btw, you like the cute jeans I bought her?     

A SALE FOR YOU!  The products we shared today will be on sale for a limited time (October 16-17) for 15% off!  Here are links directly to the products:

Be sure to visit all the blogs of the talented ladies sharing projects with us today:Taylor, Charmaine, Jodi, Karen G, Laura, Sharon  
Pin It

15 comments on "Center of Attention Product Spotlight - Stencils & Maya Mist"

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 10:23 AM CDT said...

Oh Donna, what a fabulous tshirt! LOVE it! And that card, how sweet!

Taylor on 10:30 AM CDT said...

How adorable, Donna...both your neice and the t-shirt! I love that you used the mist on fabric!

Jami on 11:14 AM CDT said...

Oh my gosh Donna - that shirt is soooooooooo ridiculously cute (and of course the model is really something else too! *wink*) - Love that you showed the products on both paper and fabric!

Karen Giron on 11:40 AM CDT said...

Oh Donna, how fabulous! The t-shirt you made is so stinkin' adorable and look at your niece's face - it's pure joy! Love your cuppie card too - such a cute card for a cute princess. You are such a great Auntie!!!

Sankari W. on 11:51 AM CDT said...

Soooo sweet Donna!!! Your neice is simply beautiful!!! What a great pose!!! I ADORE what you created for her - simply AWESOME!!! You rock girlie!!!
big hugs!
Sankari :)

Sharon Harnist on 12:24 PM CDT said...

What a great idea to use the mist on fabric, Donna -- the shirt turned out adorable (and so is your niece)!! What a darling matching card, too!

Unknown on 12:54 PM CDT said...

OMGoodness! These are fabulous, Donna! Your niece is adorable modeling her new shirt!

Dina on 1:23 PM CDT said...

Donna so clever and sweet!! Your niece is adorable and the t-shirt looks great! Very cute card, Cuppie is a sweatheart!

Jennie on 2:50 PM CDT said...

What a sweet aunt you are! So very special for you to do and your card is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Tada for sure!!!

It looks like your sweet little doll loves her Auntie Donna!! She is just a cutie pie! That adorable face just glows. You are blessed to have such a precious one in your life. I can't get enough conversations with kids since I have retired from teaching. Reading your blog today helps me get my kiddie fix. I have to admit I talk to them every chance I get. It's like hijacking them to talk to me wherever I see them...stores, selling cookies, restaurants, it doesn't matter. I love talking to kids for they say the most amazing things. You can reassure her that I didn't mess up her dresser. LOL

Melanie on 4:03 PM CDT said...

that's realy cool, I like how you blocked the sleeves and border it's different than I imagine when you told me, great job!

Laura (scrapnextras) on 7:04 PM CDT said...

Adorable! Love the card and the shirt, and you're right, she totally upstages the fabulous tee! Fabulous projects Donna!

Dawn Easton on 8:53 PM CDT said...

Donna, that t-shirt turned out wonderfully! LOVE the look!! Your niece is a cutie pie~

Jodi Collins on 9:12 PM CDT said...

NO WAY! Seriously...this is the CUTEST! That t-shirt is AMAZING (and Gabby is A-DORABLE to the max!!). This ROCKS Donna! LOVE LOVE LOVE the card too!! WOW!

Carolina on 2:56 PM CDT said...

Aack - soooo cute and the t-shirt is adorable too! Can't believe how much Miss G has grown. I'm sure you're anxious to see her!

Post a Comment