Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Merry Mass Production- A Baker's Dozen Challenge!


Today, Taylor and some of the Baker's Dozen design team have a challenge for Merry Mass Production to share with you!

We are all aware that as card makers perhaps our busiest time of year for the card giving occasion is Christmas and it can be a little stressful at times to be sure everyone on our list gets a handmade card without putting undue stress on ourselves! Well, we have a few tips to share with you to help you in that area!

Here is a shot of 8 Christmas cards I made in about and hour and a half (once my design was established-which is about as long as it takes me to complete one card sometimes!). I used the newly released Christmas Blessings set and used the nativity and wise men scene for my card, similar to the style for my sneak peeks I shared here (inspired by the full color image on the stamp sheet).

My first step was to pick my layout, which happens to be pretty much the ame one I use when I get into mass production mode-which is on the right. It's very clean & simple yet nice and you can easily make it as simple or detailed as you want it!

My next step was to choose my cardstock, inks and embellishments. My ink was chosen for me because I already had my images chosen (chocolate chip craft ink, embossed with clear embossing powder), 2 shades of blue for sponging the sky and I chose a third color - gold for a rich Christmas feel. My cardstock would be a choice Buttercream base and designer paper is Basic Grey Figgy Pudding. My embellishment is a simple ivory satin ribbon from my stash.


Here are a few shots showing the graduated colors for the night sky. With the wise men image, the light in the sky comes from the moon and light that the led the wise men to baby Jesus. The light in the manger scene emanates from baby Jesus, since He is the Light of the World. Where the light is brightest is where there should be less color. In the first picture, I sponged bordering blue ink around the manger, and covered up the 'frame' with post-it notes.
In my second photo, I sponged night of navy around the top and sides, not completely covering the previous color.


In the last photo, you see how the sponging looks with the post-it notes removed.

Challenge to YOU: Create a set of 4-10 identical or very similar Christmas cards and show at least one photo of your cards in a full group shot. Post to your blog or any on-line gallery and visit Taylor's blog to post a link so we can check out your creations!

Now, be sure to check out all the Merry Mass Production inspiration by the Baker's Dozen:

Charmaine
Dawn
Jackie

Jami
Jodi
Karen M.
Sankari
Sharon
Taylor Pin It

16 comments on "Merry Mass Production- A Baker's Dozen Challenge!"

TannyP on 10:22 AM CDT said...

Fabulous example of beautiful mass production cards, Donna. I love your sponged skies!

Vanessa on 10:27 AM CDT said...

Lovely! Mass production at it's best!

Sharon Harnist on 10:27 AM CDT said...

Beautiful, Donna -- love the background patterns you created with the sentiments and the focal images really pop!

Dina on 12:04 PM CDT said...

These are stunning! Your night sky is unbelievable, it is so beautiful!

Jodi Collins on 12:36 PM CDT said...

OOOOOOOH! AAAAAAAAAH! These are STUNNING Donna! Gorgeous layout and I ADORE the beautiful sponged skies on them! WOW!!

Unknown on 12:52 PM CDT said...

These are just gorgeous! The skies are amazing!

Monika/Buzsy on 1:59 PM CDT said...

Fabulous set of cards Donna! Love the beautiful images, your shading, the colors... TFS!

Karen Motz on 2:42 PM CDT said...

What a beautiful set of cards Donna! Love how you sponged the sky...gorgeous!!!

Melody on 4:56 PM CDT said...

What a beautiful set of cards Donna! I love the colors and the sponging! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. And yes that paper is Basic Grey Indian Summer.

Denise Marzec on 7:16 PM CDT said...

Wow, Donna! Stunning!

Sankari W. on 7:51 PM CDT said...

Gasp....! oooooo so lovely Donna!! Every single card is a masterpiece! Can't believe how you recreated such stunning works of art!!! Simply magnificent!!!! You Rock!!
Big Hugs!
Sankari :)

Dawn Easton on 8:48 PM CDT said...

Donna, these are beautiful! I love the elegance of your cards!!

Gwen on 10:03 PM CDT said...

Gorgeous! love how you did the sky

Lisa Hjulberg on 12:53 AM CDT said...

Gorgeous Donna! I love that set. I'm going to use it for the challenge on Sunday at Stampin' Sisters in Christ.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 5:53 AM CDT said...

Just gorgeous, Donna! I LOVE the coloring in the scenes. . .just beautiful! And I LOVE the go to layout. . .aren't go to layouts awesome?

Jennie on 2:53 PM CDT said...

Wow, love this...so you must really be ahead of the CHristmas card making :o)

Post a Comment