Saturday, December 6, 2008

Figgy Cats & Owls


I absolutely love Basic Grey paper pads (bet ya didn't know, huh?) I use it all the time!  What I like so much about them is not just the size (perfect for card making) but all the colors coordinate & you can mix & match patterns for a cohesive look and nearly every pack matches SU! colors! It's great!!  On both cards I used my Figgy paper pad which I purchased mid-holiday season last year so I didn't quite get to use it that much so I have been getting into it this year.  Well, I love the MFT Peppermint cats by Stephanie Fizer & they matched the red & white papers I used in this card perfectly.  

and on my Christmas Owls I thought it would be fun to pair with my cuttlebug embossing folder Leafy Branch since that's where owls reside.  I like how it turned out.  

Ever wonder exactly what figgy pudding is?  I used to always sing it in the song We Wish You a Merry Christmas, "Come bring me some figgy pudding, come bring me some figgy pudding and bring it right here" well John would always ask me why I sang that and didn't believe it was part of the song.  He surprised me one Christmas with researching it and actually MAKING me some figgy pudding - it totally cracked me up and now I can say I've had some.  Can't help but think of this every time I use my figgy paper!  btw - I can't remember if I liked it or not, I think it was different and oddly enough we haven't had any since - HA! 

Figgy pudding is a European-style pudding resembling something like a white Christmas pudding. The pudding may be baked, steamed in the oven, boiled or fried.

The history of figgy pudding dates back to 16th century England. The ancestor of figgy pudding (and plum pudding) is a medieval spiced porridge known as Frumenty. Today, the term figgy pudding is known mainly because of the Christmas carol "We Wish You A Merry Christmas," which mentions the pudding several times.



Pin It

13 comments on "Figgy Cats & Owls"

Barbara Schram on 11:16 PM CST said...

What an adorable card, Donna! I love those Basic Grey papers too! I don't use them near enough! I have never tasted Figgy pudding, but one of my favorite Christmas CD's is the Muppets, and they sing the figgy pudding song!

Denise Marzec on 8:07 AM CST said...

Awesome cards!! Great papers, layout, and beautiful coloring!!...I especially love the one with the cats!

Cat Tidwell on 8:47 AM CST said...

Awesome cards Donna! I love that Basic grey papers too, how they go together so well! And love how you did the owls with the cb leafy branch, beautiful!

p.s. I cant stand figgy pudding and my grandmother thought we HAD to eat at least one bite every Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Love, love the cards--especially the cat one. We had to put our cat down after 18 years late summer and we still miss her. I really need to get out and look at those Basic Grey pads. So many stampers use them and I think I am missing out. darlene

Lee on 3:16 PM CST said...

Of course gorgeous cards my friend!!! And I'm soooooo with you on the BG paper!!! Figgy pudding is beautiful.........the paper........I'm not thinkin' the actual pudding so much!!! LOL But then I do not like figs!!! Oh except for in yummy Fig Newtons!!! ;)

Jessie/knightrone on 10:56 PM CST said...

OMgosh, these are just too cute!!

Carolina on 12:30 AM CST said...

Adorable cards and the paper is just yummmy!!!

Justine on 3:38 AM CST said...

what a great card.

blah on 11:30 AM CST said...

Donna,
I love both of the cards!!!!! I've never tried Figgy Pudding but I do admit I love this paper. I was searching through my stash the other day because I thought I had one saved but think that I gifted them away as RAKs last year--what was I thinking?

Unknown on 5:30 PM CST said...

Aaww love the cuhoot owl card

Angie Tieman on 10:09 PM CST said...

Very cute cards! Those stamps are darling!

Shirley on 10:42 PM CST said...

Both are absolutely so creative and the designs are perfect with the images too!

Rose Ann on 11:50 AM CST said...

I am lovin' both of these, Donna!! The images are sooooo cute, and your coloring is wonderful as always!! I love the papers and texture as well!!

Gosh...I had a lot of catching up to do, eh? ;)

Post a Comment