Friday, May 11, 2007

Beauty comes in all forms!


This was a fun questionnaire...there are so many quotes about beauty: it's in the eye of the beholder, beauty comes from within, etc. etc. Growing up as a chubby girl, I didn't always 'feel' like I was pretty although I was told I was somewhat often. I suffered from the teasing, name-calling, one time a fight with a boy that was caused by my weight. It caused me to do something about it several times over the years but comfortability & the love of good food does that in at times. I believe it's everyone's desire to be desired & made to feel special. I feel sorry for people who do not have someone to make them feel that way. My DH compliments me OFTEN, and it means a lot to me. I just need to do the same & I fall short most times.

I was so close with my dad unfortunately I only had him for 9 years when he died suddenly of a heart attack. But I remember he was the first man to make me feel special. I was named after him - his name was Donald. I was his baby - the one who came out looking just like the love of his life & I think that's one reason it was easy for him to make me feel special. My mom's name was Josephine & my dad affectionately called me Little Jo because I looked just like her. I began to think I needed to look like myself & not be associated with looking just like my mom...but over time I began to really take that compliment to heart. My mom was a BEAUTIFUL woman! She was loved, well-liked, generous, fun, a great mom, etc. She did a wonderful job raising 3 young girls on her own because she nver re-married. I was blessed to have her for 26 years but that was not long enough! I welcome the compliments of looking like her because it keeps her memory alive in me!

Society has a way of making little girls feel insecure & inadequate when they glorify the paper thin gals & that's all you see in the movies & in fashion magazines. It took me a while to realize that my beauty does not consist of just the body image; it's all about how you feel, being confident, finding the good things about yourself & playing them up. I remember meeting gals who were considered, "comfortable in their own skin" and I wanted to be one of those gals! Well, it wasn't until a few years ago that the curvy & voluptuous were given more attention with options of cuter clothing (such as Lane Bryant) and gals with meat on their bones were played up more! I love wearing MAC makeup but still find myself not taking the time (I wear makeup about once a week now, sometimes not at all) and remember a few years ago being at church & my pastor at the time (who is quite handsome & younger than me) used to say when he saw me, 'hello beautiful' there was a moment I got back into that insecure stage & remarked about not feeling like that because I wasn't wearing makeup. Why did that thought come up? Why did it take makeup to make me feel beautiful? Well, our conversation turned into a time when I was in high school & the owner of the company I worked for told me something that always stuck with me. When someone takes the time to compliment you, respond by saying thank you even if you don't think the statement is true. The most insulting is to dispute the remark to the person complimenting you. So I proceeded to relay that conversation to my pastor & apologized for the comment. Then he told me something that stuck with me & made me realize something. I didn't NEED the makeup or special clothes to be considered beautiful. He stated I had a Natural Beauty on the inside that made its way on the outside. Light Blub moment...I realized after that something I should have been believing for a long time...it's not what you see in the media that dictates true beauty. Being a Christian, I believe that God changes a person over time and I was a product of that! There was a time growing up I was pretty ugly with my attitude, comments, etc. and God slowly transformed that with peace, joy, fulfillment in my life. I must give credit to my wonderful DH too...he has ingrained in me that I don't need the makeup because he too believes I am a natural beauty. Sometimes it takes a while for certain people to believe something about themselves that is always there.


You Are a Natural Beauty!

You're the kind of beauty that every guy dreams about...
One that looks good in the morning - without a stitch of makeup
That's doesn't mean you're a total hippie chic though
You have style, but for you, style is effortless

Pin It

2 comments on "Beauty comes in all forms!"

Ashley on 10:36 AM CDT said...

Well said. You are beautiful! Don't ever change.

blah on 12:35 AM CDT said...

Donna,
I love this and you've given me a lot to think about. I hate how hard society is on women and I just back from LA where I spent the weekend. When I lived there, I was sooooooooo insecure but I was *thin*. I'm much happier now with myself and the way I look.

Anyway, celebrate your beauty because you definitely are a beautiful person.

Post a Comment