Monday, November 24, 2008

Snowflakes in Texas?



Ha - I wish!  I know a lot of y'all are experiencing snow but that's a rare occasion in Central Texas.  Although usually at least once a year we get ice on the roads & bridges and it's usually not a good thing in many ways!  Lately the weather has been so mild we were shopping at the grocery store yesterday morning & I saw several people with shorts on.  

I experienced snow in the truest sense of the word one time in my life - it was Christmas 1981; my dad died April that year and our mom thought it would be a good idea to take us away from the house so we had a distraction from missing him so much.  We went to Lake Tahoe & stayed in a cabin with our cousins for about a week.  We did have a lot of fun; it was cold - we rode down the hill on inner tubes, made snowmen & played games.  My mom was so smart to do that for us and I was always grateful because we don't have any sad memories of our first Christmas without our dad.  

It feels somewhat strange to stamp with snowflakes since I don't live in an area where we get snow, but I suppose there are people I can either send them to or others can (in the process of getting cards together to sell) so I have to make sure I cover everything.  I love to heat emboss and I thought Rupa's delicate snowflakes in her set The Magic of Christmas would look just lovely.  I used silver embossing powder on both cards on Night of Navy cardstock and used silver elastic cord as a simple embellishment.  
 
Next up is some holiday home decor.  I picked up a glass votive at the dollar store along with a glass base and the blue poinsettia pick is from Hobby Lobby that rests next to the votive unattached.  I took a long piece of vellum cardstock, stamped the snowflakes using white embossing powder and brayered my blue frost spectrum pad over the snowflakes.    

Here is a picture of the votive lit & with the lights off so you can see the flame better through the vellum.  I know Thanksgiving is just a few days away but I so look forward to Christmas decorations so much!! Pin It

13 comments on "Snowflakes in Texas?"

Anonymous said...

Donna,
We're expecting 1"-2" of snow here over night. I'd be more than happy to send some to you if you want to experience the real thing again. ;-)

Jessie/knightrone on 10:57 AM CST said...

Super cute stuff Donna!!

Cat Tidwell on 1:29 PM CST said...

Gorgeous card Donna! Love that votive cup, so very pretty! I just hope we have a bit of the fluffy white stuff around Christmas, always makes it so special when it has! But most of time like you, we get the ice, lol.

Libby Hickson on 1:29 PM CST said...

Gorgeous stuff Donna! And as one who loves to stamp snowmen even though I also live here in central TX - I see now problem with snowflakes! :D

Christi Flores on 2:12 PM CST said...

Everything is amazing Donna! The weather is the same in North Texas. No snow-only ice! LOL

Catherine on 3:12 PM CST said...

No snow either her in Sunny California and I actually saw someone driving with their top down over the weekend. Don't you just love that :)

Cute cards and projects, Donna!

Monika/Buzsy on 4:08 PM CST said...

What a great set... and in my favorite colors. Love the votive... so pretty. TFS!

Barbara Schram on 5:37 PM CST said...

There's lots of know here in Michigan, Donna! You are welcome any time! Love this candle, what a lovely home decor gift!

Denise Marzec on 7:38 PM CST said...

Oh my gosh, that home decor is GORGEOUS!!

Alex on 8:02 PM CST said...

Your projects are gorgeous as usual, Donna!!! I too only have snow in my cards and things - LOL! These are beautiful! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Rose Ann on 8:23 PM CST said...

Your snowflake cards are very beautiful, Donna...and what a lovely memory you have shared! Your votive is gorgeous as well!!

Lee on 1:44 AM CST said...

Ohhhhh so stunningly elegant!!!!!!

Shirley on 10:34 PM CST said...

Very very beautiful and elegant!!

Post a Comment