Friday, June 6, 2008

The most special birthday cake EVER!



Take a look at my birthday cake my BFF Lori made (that's her in the picture with me). Don't look at how tired we look - it was 9:00 p.m. and it was a long day - I looked pretty earlier that day - my DH told me so at dinner. He took me to Chuy's Tex-Mex - yummy. Then we went to Costco and I bought an iPOD (8 GB - Hot Pink) with my birthday $$. Meanwhile, Lori was resting from a busy day (and not feeling well) and still had to decorate my cake. She finished it right until she left & headed over with it - all this was a surprise. She told me months ago how excited she was about the cake she was planning to make me and I found out the other night her planning started the day after my birthday last year! Her daughter is the one who made a picture of a scrapbook & turned it into a cake! Lori revised it a little & just used my pictures instead but still managed to make it look like a scrapbook with the pages around the border. Lori sure knows how to keep a surprise! I can't! Well, I have a few times in my life.


When I saw this cake - I cried. It was magnificent; perfect for me, since she used pictures from our trip (got from DH the night before since my birthday snuck up on her!) And y'all who read my blog know how much I adore my niece & new nephew! I also cried because of all the time & love that went into making this for me. She is so generous, loving, caring and most of all TALENTED! She is also a stamper - used to be a demo in my downline but her true gifting & heart are into cake making! I am so proud of Lori - we've been friends for 8 years and have lots of precious memories together! The reason we met is because we (her DH and us) were motorcycle riders (bet ya didn't know that, huh?) Well, us girls rode on the back of the bikes but Lori was brave enough to get her own bike & started riding solo. This was a LONG time ago. Maybe warrants a post with pics for another time.

Lori was working full-time & cake baking on the weekends for YEARS. She was getting burnt out - because she started to participate in local bridal fairs & cake competitions (which I am proud to say she is a multiple award winner in) and get more business. She took the leap of faith mid-March and quit her job. Now it's all about the cakes! Btw - her cakes are the MOST delicious ever & her buttercream frosting is divine! If you are in the Austin/Central TX area...please check out her website in case you would like her to make a special cake for any occasion you may need! I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed! Oh, don't forget to tell her I sent you! Check out her website Classic Cakes by Lori (a work in progress)

When Lori left - I immediately called my sister to brag about my special cake (not sure if she's seen it yet, but I emailed her pictures).

I'm excited for today - Melanie is taking me to lunch for my birthday! It will be nice to spend more than 10 mins with her, it's been a long while. Pin It

19 comments on "The most special birthday cake EVER!"

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday

So sorry I forgot to call. Sounds like you had a wonderful day & that cake looks beautiful. Very talented friend you have. I checked out her website, and those cakes look amazing.

Barbara Schram on 1:39 PM CDT said...

Ooooo my this cake is gorgeous...and I am not surprised that your friends would want to make your birthday special. What fun you will have fun with Melanie! Happy Birthday!

Jennifer Love on 3:01 PM CDT said...

What a fabulous scrap-cake! :D Almost too pretty to cut and eat! Gosh! Sounds like your birthday was fun this year! :)

Joy on 3:02 PM CDT said...

Happy Birthday sweetie! That is the bestest cake EVER! You deserve it. And I love your shirt. You should visit there some time!

Lee on 3:59 PM CDT said...

Ohhhhhh..........this is totally the mostest and bestest awesomest cake EVAHHHHH girlfriend!!!!! You are such a wonderful person and absolutely deserve to be treated like a queen!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! And yes......I know one of these seasons I'll be coming to Austin with hubby.........and we'll have to order a special cake!!!!! Hugs!! And enjoy that lunch date!! ;)

Bee's Zen Garden on 4:31 PM CDT said...

That cake sure is special!!
And BTW, congrats on winning the blog candy on MFT! :-)

Angie Tieman on 6:46 PM CDT said...

Wow!! That cake is amazing!! I am totally blown away! My sweet tooth is aching for a piece...or two...or three! Torture!

Unknown on 7:27 PM CDT said...

What a fun and fabulous cake - great friend!! :)

Rose Ann on 7:38 PM CDT said...

A very special cake for a very special person!!! So awesome, Donna! I'm glad your day was great!

I bet you had a wonderful time with Melanie! *wink*

Alex on 12:35 AM CDT said...

Your birthday cake is wonderful and very special - how awesome!! I am so glad that you had a great birthday, you sound so happy! And, you ARE beautiful, even at 9pm - so there!

*STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Carolina on 4:31 AM CDT said...

Oh that is the best cake I've ever seen. Just perfect in every way.

I really hope you got everything you wanted for your birthday cause you deserve it and more!

Melanie on 7:16 AM CDT said...

wowza!!! it just like you described, I'm in awe!

Dawn Easton on 9:45 AM CDT said...

Oh my goodness Donna! Your friend did an AMAZING job on that cake! I'd cry too, I'm such an emotional wreck at times...lol
Hope you and Melanie had a fab time!

retiredheather on 1:04 PM CDT said...

Happy Birthday. Your cake is fantastic. What a fantastic thing to give to a scrapbooker.

Deb Wood on 1:24 PM CDT said...

WOW that is some cake, so amazing and creative, I would have cried too. What an awesome friend and it's written all over your face how much you loved it!! Have a nice lunch with Melanie and Happy Birthday again. I'm not really sure when it was, but I'm assuming last night.

Jessie/knightrone on 9:23 PM CDT said...

OMgosh girl, how awesome for you!! That cake is devine and your friend is super sweet to do something so special for you!! Hope your birthday was all you wanted it to be and more!!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 4:08 PM CDT said...

Oh my goodness, how fabulous, Donna! And Happy Birthday! I can't believe I missed it! I have missed SO much since being away. . .yikes! I'm trying to catch up!

Libby Hickson on 10:57 PM CDT said...

What a fabulous cake!! I bookmarked your friend's website - I'm in Austin too, so I'll keep her in mind next time I'm in need of a cake! Sorry I'm behind on blogging and missed saying it on time - but happy belated birthday anyway!

Marilyn on 8:28 AM CDT said...

Happy Birthday Donna!! What an amazing cake your friend made! How could you ever even take a bite out of it!! LOL!! That's the sad thing about cake making, all that hard work gone after its eaten - at least our stamps live on! LOL! So glad you had a nice visit with Melanie too!!

Post a Comment