Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Never be the first...


...to let go of a hug. Hugs are powerful; they hold so much meaning, they break down barriers, are healing. You can use a hug to say I'm thinking of you, I'm sad you're hurting, I'm sorry, I miss you, I value your friendship, I love you.

I'm not sure how long ago or where I first saw that quote but when I did, it made me think so much about the meaning of hugs. I often think about this quote when I hug someone, but only truly apply it when the other person knows about it as well (like in my DH's case...but usually I'm the first to let go not because I don't love him, but because I'm usually in the midst of some project) and he's trying to make me slow down. I remember growing up and always hugging my dad because we were so close, and when he died I started to hug my mom more but she wasn't all that big on affection. I think by the time she died, I changed that a little because she got used to it. I love that hugging is a great form of expression and a way to say so much when words are hard to come by.

This is the first card I made using the image of the koalas Melanie drew for her new set Cuddles and Hugs. I used a sketch from Little Book of Sketches for my card (and knew I wanted to use Kraft c/s - so I went with Blush Blossom, Ruby Red and Pretty in Pink to complement it) - the dp is Ginger Blossom by SU!. I Googled some images of koalas for the most accurate way to color them and was taken aback at how adorable they are! No wonder they were my mom's favorite animal! Which led me to wonder, do I have a favorite? I'm not sure I do. But I always wanted a monkey (so cute as babies in diapers) and I like snakes (so funny Melanie put those in her set, not realizing that about me) - always wanted one of those growing up but my mom wouldn't allow it (more on that another time). I love cats (have 2) and Melanie put those in her set too! I'll have a card using them to show you soon. I love bears, they are cute too! But I don't know that I can associate a favorite animal of mine just yet.

I digress...thank you, Melanie...for making this set! It really is my favorite of all you've made because as you put it, I'm a 'champion hugger' and since I was the inspiration behind it, it makes it all the more special to me. Pin It

14 comments on "Never be the first..."

Dawn Wheeler on 10:21 AM CDT said...

Wow this card is so adorable fab work ,Dawnx

Angie Tieman on 11:05 AM CDT said...

Oh what a cutie card! Love those little hugging bears! It's so awesome how you got this set made!

Alex on 11:06 AM CDT said...

this is totally adorable Donna, I have to have this set!!!! I love those cute little koalas, and you are soooo right about hugs! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Barbara Schram on 11:19 AM CDT said...

Love the coloring of the bears! You are fabulous, Donna! What inspiration you are to sooo many of us! Thanks for sharing your art and who you are with all of us!

Cat Tidwell on 11:53 AM CDT said...

Wonderful card! Your coloring on those bears is just amazing. Looks so soft and REAL! My family arent big huggers, and that makes hugs even more special to me, if that makes sense, lol!

Bee's Zen Garden on 12:55 PM CDT said...

Beautiful card Donna, love those colors! And I love what you wrote, it's nice to learn more about you! :-)

French people are not the hugging type, we shake hands when we meet someone, or if it is someone close like family or friends then we kiss on the cheeks. So we're always taken aback a little when american people we don't know hug us! LOL!
But I hug my kids all the time and I am so thankful that my son lets me do this (some autistic kids can't stand you touching them). :-)

As for favorite animals I don't have just one either, but koalas are among my fav, they just look like cuddly teddy bears and the babies are just so cute!♥ I want to make a card with the koalas and some fun flock on it! :-)

Carolina on 1:59 PM CDT said...

Love hugs!!! I think it's something that is not done enough and love that Mel came out with this set...her animal sets are just so sweet and this one is no exception!

Now, about your card, the way you split the sentiment is just perfect and the color combo - YUMMO!!! Picture perfect!

Ila on 3:04 PM CDT said...

Totally Gorgeous and So Sweet!! I love the colors and that Adorable image.
We are big on hugging in our own family. Both myself and DH did not really come from a hugging type of family..since my Father died that changed for my family (siblings and mother) and for my DH...well we're still working on that..lol...Hugs, Ila

Deb Wood on 7:28 PM CDT said...

Totally adorable and I agree hugs are the best!!

Melanie on 7:56 PM CDT said...

I don't know if not's clickable like usual but I want to make it big so I can see your fur LOL, it looks so snuggle soft!!) too cool about the snakessss...

Lee on 12:19 AM CDT said...

Totally cutie patootie!!!! And very special indeed with that HUGGY sentiment!!! I can't wait to get my set!!!!!

Linsey R on 1:00 AM CDT said...

Oh, this is supah adorable, chickie! I LOVE how you did a little cluster of words to create this great sentiment! I love the pink with your sweet koalas! Even though Mel made these cuties, I will always think of you when I see them! :) ...and thanks for the most scrumptious pics of the kids today! OH, they are such precious little things! Melts my heart! Hugs!

Jessie/knightrone on 7:13 PM CDT said...

Love this!! I think it was so sweet for Melanie to think of you when she made this set!!

Rose Ann on 4:05 PM CDT said...

This is so cute, and I love the colors/papers! I love how you did the sentiment too!

Post a Comment