Saturday, April 26, 2008

Happy Birthday now let's play Dress-Up Gabby!!


Today my sweet niece turns 2! I haven't talked with her yet because the party animal was still asleep a while ago because she burned the midnight oil by staying up past 1:00 a.m.! Mommy was trying to get ready for the big party this afternoon (insert sad face because we can't be there). We will see her in 3 1/2 weeks though - I'll be starting to count down the days! She is such a HUGE blessing to us all & everyone's lives now center around her (even mine and I live over 1,000 miles away!) We'll start sharing the love with her brother soon though.

In a few days I should have some birthday pics from my cousin Andrea, but above is an adorable one taken a few weeks ago where she reminds me of Lily in the set Dress Up Lily I knew when I saw this set from Pink Cat Studio that I would use it a lot because of this precious little girl. What's so cool is that she now personalizes the set for just $1 so I had her make mine Dress Up Gabby. How cute is that?! Of course, I will keep the stamps *wink* but I can use these not only for cards & projects for her but for scrapbook pages too! Talk about getting a lot of mileage out of a set!!

Here is my first project that I envisioned when I first saw the set! Do you remember Colorforms? Do you remember paperdolls? Well those 2 were some of my favorite toys growing up! I had a monchichi colorforms set that I ADORED! Well, I decided to make Gabby her own modern set incorporating my love of stamping! This project turned out to be the most intensive labor of love just yet for my sweet niece but she TOTALLY deserves it! I got my set on Thursday evening & went to work on it right away and just finished it up this afternoon. I started with stamping & coloring LOTS of the images. Then, I cut them out & laminated them, cut AGAIN and stuck magnets on the back of EACH of the pieces. Last year I bought this magnetic bulletin board from clearance at Michael's for $4 and had NO clue what I was going to use it for but when the idea came for Gabby's paperdolls I knew it would be PERFECT! score....


Next, I got Melanie's What's in Your Tin set 1 by Gina K (which coincidentally arrived yesterday) and made an tin to house all Gabby's Dress-Up Accessories. Some are so tiny, I hope she is very careful & doesn't lose any. If I know my sisters, I think they will be sure she doesn't because they will appreciate the time I spent making it all. The back of the tin is covered with a magnet so it will stay real well on the board! Here are some close-ups of the dress up Gabbys. You'll see some of them have paper-pieced clothing. Some are using Prismacolor pencils & OMS and some Copics. I jazzed them up with Sakura glitter pen, stickles because Gabby has to be dressed to the 9's

Angel Gabby

Ice Cream Gabby

Princess Gabby

Party Animal Gabby (oh yea)

Mod Podge Gabby (not sure what I was thinking when I dressed her in this ensemble?)

and my favorite Easter Bunny Gabby

I have to confess - I was squealing with delight as I was putting this together & was having so much fun playing with it that I was almost wished I made a set to keep for myself. I know, weird...because I'm 36 and still a kid! Guess that's a good reason to have one of
my own someday *wink* ?!?!

Pin It

27 comments on "Happy Birthday now let's play Dress-Up Gabby!!"

Lee on 3:14 PM CDT said...

OH MY!!!!!! Did you hear my jaw drop from here?? Like WOWZERS to the millionth degree Donna!!! I don't even know where to start?? The tin......the magnet board.....the stamped "colorforms".........the outfits.......the personalizing......oh man.....wow!!! Oh definitely a labor of love.......you are the bestest Auntie in the world!!! And your imagination and talent....I'm so totally blown away!!! You're amazing!!

Unknown on 3:55 PM CDT said...

Oh my goodness Donna this is just fantastic!!! I KNOW your niece will love it - I would LOVE it!! :) What a great job you did!!

Deb Wood on 8:21 PM CDT said...

Happy Birthday to your niece she is just too cute as is your dress Gabby board and accessories!! Why can't I be this creative!!

Rose Ann on 8:45 PM CDT said...

This is over-the-top cute, Donna!!!! I love it all! Your coloring on all of these is perfecto, and your project will be so adored..I'm sure!! Special, special gift!!

Melissa on 10:06 PM CDT said...

OMG Donna!!!! This absolutely adorable. What a wonderful idea for a gift and I can't even imagine how much time went into creating it. Gabby is going to love if for sure and it's so wonderful for her to have something so special and hand made from her sweet Auntie! I love the colours and the outfits you created, they look fabulous. I don't think it's weird at all that you want one for yourself because as soon as I saw what you made I wanted one too!!
Thanks for sharing your project!

Unknown on 11:45 AM CDT said...

Ok, this is TOOOOOO cute! I am totally going to "case" this idea and make one for my 3 yr old niece who's birthday is this month.... you rock! Thanks for the inspiration!!!! Now I need to go find a magnetic frame.. good luck with that, right. haha!

Monika/Buzsy on 12:30 PM CDT said...

Super cute project Donna! Love the different options... very fashionable. :o) TFS!

Anita Knits on 2:09 PM CDT said...

Oh it is fantastic, I want one now, what a great idea.
You are one super talented lady.

Anita Knits on 2:09 PM CDT said...

Oh it is fantastic, I want one now, what a great idea.
You are one super talented lady.

Nicole on 2:50 PM CDT said...

Donna, this is INSANELY cute!!! I can't get over this!! What a fab-u-lous gift!

Unknown on 8:13 PM CDT said...

Donna...OMGoodness!!!! This is absolutely the cutest kid's gift I've seen in a very long time! If my girls were still toddlers, they would go crazy over this! I'm so in awe! Adela

Bee's Zen Garden on 10:33 PM CDT said...

Oh my, that's awesome!!! Such a cool idea (I'm sure I would have been like you and playing with it, LOL!). When I first saw the set I thought paper dolls, but you took it up a notch!! (as Emeril would say ;-)).
You are such a wonderful aunt!♥

Karen Brooks on 3:41 PM CDT said...

What a fabulous idea!!! I love what you've done with the stamps and I am sure your darling little niece is going to love this!!! I want one too!!! LOL

Maureen on 3:46 PM CDT said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! This is beyond awesome!!! You did an amazing job and your niece is going to have a TON of fun playing with it all!

Maureen on 3:46 PM CDT said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! This is beyond awesome!!! You did an amazing job and your niece is going to have a TON of fun playing with it all!

Carolina on 12:05 AM CDT said...

Okay girl you just took me back to the age of 6! I used to make my sister play paper dolls with me for hours - I have to say this is the most amazing paper doll set! Love the board, the tin, all the accessories - just all of it!

Gabby is just precious, I can see why you would want to spend so much time on such a wonderful gift. She is a very lucky girl to be blessed with you as her auntie!

Melanie on 7:05 AM CDT said...

oh my goodness this is my fave tin project yet!! can't beleive all those accessories fit in the tin, high five!!Q you go girl!

AND, that is my fave picture of Gabby yet, too cute!!!!!1

sophia landry on 3:00 PM CDT said...

WOW!!!!!!! Donna, this is the cutest idea!!!!! LOVE IT!!!! I think I would love to take this idea and make it using my Magnolia's for my neice and daughter. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

Jennie Skaggs on 5:08 PM CDT said...

Such a fantastic and creative one of a kind gift. :) let us know how she liked it. Jennie

Mandy on 6:41 AM CDT said...

OK, I LOVE this idea! Great gift for a little girl! And I love this set, too.

C on 8:30 AM CDT said...

This is totally way over the top cute! I feel a major case coming on!! What kind of magnets did you use? Awesome!

Kathleen on 9:45 AM CDT said...

THIS IS AMAZING! WOW! It kinda makes me wish my girls were little again---I'm sure Gabby will love it...remember, when they love something sometimes it gets worn out....like the Velveteen rabbit---but then again, I don't think these will come to life, will they? TFS--LOVE IT!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 12:53 PM CDT said...

WOW! this is just absolutely fabulous,Donna! I want a set like that! LOL You are SO creative!

Linsey R on 1:35 AM CDT said...

NO WAY!!! Did Pink Cat Studio see this--they would fall head-over-heels for it the same as I (and lots of other folks) have! OMgosh, this is wonderful! I want one too! I'm seriously going to get this set because of what you've done here--and I intend on telling them so! You should get some sort of award for this fabulous project! Gabby is totally going to adore it! What a very special Auntie you are to make her feel so important and loved! She is one lucky little princess! thanks for brightening my day with your amazing creativity! You rock, gf!

Jessie/knightrone on 11:47 PM CDT said...

GEEEZZZZZz LOUIZZZZE this is too stinking fabulous!!! Your niece is one lucky super cutie and you are a fantastic aunt!!!

cabio's craft corner on 8:23 PM CDT said...

Now, you made me bought a set too and I had fun making one for my daughter. Instead of using the laminating and attaching the magnet, I've used the laminated magnet sheet and ran it throught the Xyron 510, it came out better than I expected. THANK YOU for the idea! My daughter loves it and I think I will make extra sets to include for birthday goodies on her birthday the end of the year.

Unknown on 9:01 PM CDT said...

That is too funny - I did a smimilar set for my niece Johanna...as soon as they released this set, I knew that's what I wanted to do!! Great minds think alike, eh?

Post a Comment