Monday, August 24, 2009

Gina K. Designs Preview Day 1: A Year of Leaves & Fruitful Harvest


fall splatterOne of my favorite Gina K. Designs stamp sets is illustrated by Melanie Muenchinger, A Year of Flowers. Well, this month she has brought a collection of beautiful leaves and wonderful sentiments to celebrate the changing season’s leaves in A Year of Leaves. The release of this stamp set makes me anticipate the beautiful Fall season, which is my favorite! Living in Central Texas has caused me to have a new appreciation for the cooling weather, changing of the color of leaves (although what little we have here pales in comparison to those on the East Coast, I know!). What I look forward to most is being able to shut off the a/c and open up the windows in the house and this year, to enjoy our new outdoor hobby Geocaching!

fall splatter closeupFor my card today, I stamped an assortment of leaves on watercolor paper, wet it and dabbed my peerless watercolors on, creating various colors of fall leaves. Once I was done, I grabbed a color spritzer tool and an olive green marker, and filled in the white spaces with speckles of color. Lastly, I layered it onto chocolate kiss and green apple cardstock, embellishing it with an oval Thanks sentiment and some cotton thread in a pretty shade of green. Here is a close up of the speckles, watercoloring and shine from the twinkling h20’s I added after.

pears
The next set we’re previewing today is Fruitful Harvest, illustrated by Asela Hopkins; a beautiful collection of large fruits, small sentiments and a very moving quote, which I used on my card. In addition to gorgeous cards, the larger fruits will make wonderful altered art pieces as well as beautifully adorned tile coasters.

On my card, I used Green Apple & Pumpkin Spice cardstock (which will be available to purchase with this release), digital papers released last month with the StampTV kit. Also from the kit I used ribbon & brads from it. Recently I’ve fallen in love all over again with watercoloring on watercolor paper because you can achieve such a natural look with it when you wet your paper first and dab your colors on like I did on both of these cards. I truly feel like an artist as I slowly brought these gorgeous leaves and delicious pears to life on paper!

For more inspiration with the stamps previewed today, visit Gina's blog as well as Melanie, the illustrator of Year of Leaves and Asela, the illustrator of Fruitful Harvest.

GKD Senior Design Team Members have previews to share with you today: Carolyn, Cindy, Emily, Erika, Kurtis, Jessica, Lee, Lynn, and Theresa in addition to our CenterStage Spotlight Design Team members: Denise Kelemen and Geri Utterback.

SAVE THE DATE!! Our Release Party will be held at SCS starting at 7pm CST on Thursday, August 27th. There will be contests, challenges, lots of chatter as well as many more samples shared! You won't want to miss it!

Pin It

30 comments on "Gina K. Designs Preview Day 1: A Year of Leaves & Fruitful Harvest"

Theresa Momber on 10:17 PM CDT said...

OMGosh, Donna, these are so beautiful. That leaf panel is just stunning!

Misti on 10:20 PM CDT said...

Donna, both of these cards are fabulous!!! Your coloring is amazing!!

joy on 10:30 PM CDT said...

The leaves are so pretty! I'm impressed and want to try my hand with these - thanks for the inspiration.

dee marie on 10:46 PM CDT said...

Beautiful cards, Donna! I love all the falling leaves - awesome idea!

redwasher1 on 10:52 PM CDT said...

Donna your cards are STUNNING and I love them both!

Tina on 10:52 PM CDT said...

LOVE those falling leaves!!!! And the speckled effect is gorgeous. Your pears are beautifully colored as well.

slbt17 on 11:22 PM CDT said...

lovely cards! Thanks for the inspiration!
Sandra

Giovana on 11:35 PM CDT said...

Awesome cards Donna!!
God bless
Giovana

Melody (lacyquilter) on 11:46 PM CDT said...

Wonderful cards.

Brenda on 11:56 PM CDT said...

Fabulous cards Donna!!

Carolina on 2:24 AM CDT said...

Hi friend! Hope you were able to rest yesterday. I didn't want to call and wake you and then I figured you probably got engrossed in designing and didn't want to interrupt your mojo...so know that I'm thinking of you and hope to chat soon.

I just knew your samples were going to be amazing...thanks for sharing your creativity with all of us - HUGS!!!

Miss Boo (a.k.a. jen70) on 2:27 AM CDT said...

I saw your cards on Stamp TV. Beautiful cards!

Lynn Mercurio on 5:43 AM CDT said...

Donna - your creative imagination always amazes me. The addition of the color spritzed on your leaf card is brilliant and the best compliment for the overall design. Love your design on the pair of pears (*wink). :)

Mary Anne / MA54K on 6:43 AM CDT said...

I am just loving the leaf card, Donna! The coloring is amazing! The pears look like they are ready to be plucked! Simply beautiful!

Vanessa on 7:09 AM CDT said...

Gorgeous cards and gorgeous coloring!

Linda said...

Your ideas and creations are wonderful. The leaves are so versatile.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work! Breathtaking colors.

Kurtis on 8:00 AM CDT said...

So Pretty!

Melanie on 8:05 AM CDT said...

you are a master with the peerless! the spritzing gives it such an earthy feel! way to go!!

Harriet H on 8:15 AM CDT said...

"Linda" said it breathtaking beautiful....

Selma on 8:21 AM CDT said...

Donna both these cards are awesome. You always do such a beautiful job using the Peerless watercolors. I love the added spritzing.

Sherry on 8:41 AM CDT said...

I love that you've done both cards on WC paper.. and the extra touch with the spritzing creates such a FAB-ulous look! I love the 2's theme on your pear card with the brads, ribbon and squares. Both cards are Gorgeous!

conniecrafter said...

Both cards are just Beautiful, the coloring of the leaves is Terrific!

Carolyn King on 10:53 AM CDT said...

Beautiful cards girlie!LOVE the spritzing on the first card!

Lori on 11:15 AM CDT said...

Both cards are colored so lovely!

Lee on 11:17 AM CDT said...

Ohhhhh you sure have captured the utter gloriousness of Autumn!!! I love stamping my own dp, and your leaf card with all the amazing coloring and the cording is just stunning!!! Of course the second one is too...just perfect with the bg!!

Anonymous said...

Donna, these out of this world!!!! Your coloring is stunning. Great job.

Unknown on 4:14 PM CDT said...

Donna!! You have really outdone yourself on your cards today!!! I LOVE both of them - the colors and layers are just amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards!!!

emilymomto3boys on 10:10 PM CDT said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE those pears!!! Fabulous cards today as well - love the mosaic set tied in!

Post a Comment