Monday, March 2, 2009

A Time for Everything...(long personal post to share)



A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

With a heavy heart I share with you some recent sadness in & around me. 
  • Last Wednesday a dear friend’s (Kay-the grandmother of Derek) best friend’s son was found dead on his 31st birthday by his brother. Being the best friend that she is, she drove 3 ½ hours to be by her friend’s side without even being asked (and having not even spoken to her directly before she headed out).

  • Last Friday morning, just 4 hours into his 102nd (yes you read that right) birthday, John’s great uncle Otto died peacefully in his sleep. It was his last wish, recently having made the decision to forego meds (not sure which) and was often saying, "Lord be merciful & take me" what a blessing to have been granted his dying wish.

  • On the same morning, just a day after her 7th birthday, my favorite cousin’s friends Doreen & Scott suddenly and tragically found their daughter dead in her sleep, while nursing an illness she had.  I just found out this morning.  

  • During the time that I posted about Derek’s tragic accident at the beginning of last month, I have come to be familiar with one reader of my blog who participated in sending some sunshine to Derek (a series of 12 cards & books to receive one per day that each member of the family helped with!). All the while she & her family were blessing Derek; they were struggling with their own plight. Ylita does not have a blog but when I googled her, I found several others’ blogs she has signed up to send RAKS to! She didn’t just spread her love to Derek! Ylita recently had foot surgery and her beloved husband Fred is suffering with Stage 4 Cancer and I plan on sending a card to him as well as Ylita & her boys for sending cards & books to Derek. I emailed her this weekend to thank her again & asked for her address so I could send a Thank You to them. Here is her response:

"Thank you for your email. My family does a lot of community service and helping others. I feel this is important to teach your children about others and their needs. My boys are 14, 15 and 17 years old. Since I last emailed you, my husband was rush to the ER and today they had to remove his leg from the knee down. They found a clot they took off real fast. The cancer has also got worst and his liver is not working at all and they give maybe 2-3 weeks. My head is spinning and I don't know what end is up. He is too young to go (51)
As for sending me something, I did this from the heart. You know maybe asking for cards for my husband, he would love that. He is my biggest support in my craft world."

Thanks again
Ylita and Fred Nielsen


When asked for permission to post on my blog about sending cards, Ylita wrote:

"Good morning,

Thanks for everything and yes you can post something. He would love that. He sees all my or ours (my 15 year old is awesome at making cards) and that would put a smile on his face.
It’s been real hard on him."

Thanks

Ylita and Fred Nielsen
767 Los Flores Court
Galt, CA 95632

Will you please help spread some of your sunshine in the form of a Thinking of You card to bless this family during this difficult time? This reminds me that the world is bigger than these 4 walls, that there is something bigger & better to do, that people are what matter and if I can make a difference in one person’s life I can do it in more! It’s amazing how selfless some people can be and ready to help at the drop of a hat; Kay and Ylita & her family are perfect examples of this! I suppose sometimes when you are burdened with sorrow or trials, it’s good to remember you do not have to bottle it up – you can share it because sometimes you just have to be human and admit you’re hurting. That’s the point of my email – to tell you I’m hurting for all my loved ones and even strangers that are dealing with some really heavy, emotional times and would be so blessed to have you send them a card.  Please also keep them in your prayers! 

The inside says, wishing you comfort & peace and will be going out to all the ones hurting I mentioned above to let them know they're in my thoughts & prayers.  I used Gina K Designs Winter Trees and items from the Floral Frenzy kit.  

Pin It

10 comments on "A Time for Everything...(long personal post to share)"

Jessie/knightrone on 12:25 AM CST said...

Donna, I am so sorry to read about all the recent losses for you, your friends, and your family. It is all just tragic. I will try to get a card out ASAP!!

Carolina on 12:29 AM CST said...

I'll put a card in the mail tomorrow...so sorry the last week has been filled with so much sorrow friend...hang in there.

Your card is gorgeous by the way...

DoodleFactory on 1:07 AM CST said...

Oh my goodness, so many turbulent times. I just finished addressing my envelope for Derek, but I will certainly make a card for Fred as well. Ylita's kindness is very touching and I hope she and her husband get a lot of love in their mailbox.

Unknown on 7:51 AM CST said...

Wow! This really reminds us that when we have a "bad day", we need to take it in stride. There are so many others with heavy crosses to bear. TFS -- I'll get a card out today.

Jami on 11:07 AM CST said...

Donna - thanks so much for sharing! So much sorrow - sometimes it seems to come in waves. I will get a card out.

retiredheather on 11:31 AM CST said...

Your post has made me more aware of a way that I and others can make this world a little less difficult for someone else with just the cost of a stamp and the joy of making something. Thank you for awakening me to this fact. I appreciate what you have done and I will try to spread the word as well. Thank you.
Hugs
Heather

Rose Ann on 11:48 AM CST said...

I'm so sorry about these difficult times, and will be making a card for the Nielsen family. Hugs, girl.

Julia Aston on 3:01 PM CST said...

Goodness - aren't we fortunate that God is always with us through times like these! I will send a card to the Nielsen family.

thanks for putting them forward to us Donna!

retiredheather on 3:49 PM CST said...

Donna I have made the card and I will mail it tomorrow. Thought you might like to see it.
Here it is
Hugs
Heather

Christi Flores on 1:53 PM CST said...

Wow Donna-I am so sorry to hear about all of your recent loses. I cannot imagine... I will definitely send some love to your friend. :)

Post a Comment