Thursday, August 28, 2008

Birthday Mom


A few weeks ago DMIL turned 60! Here is the card I made her using Melanie's Little Tees set by Gina K Designs. I thought pairing it with Basic Grey's Cupcake paper would be a lot of fun and for this card used 4 of the patterns. DMIL loved it & said she would love to have a t-shirt just like it! There are endless options for this set! I used PTI's Lemon Tart cardstock & twill ribbon as well as the Basic Grey cupcake brads.
Here's a pic of all of us (John's younger brother Steven is on the right). We went out to Johnny Fin's restaurant on Lake Travis with live music that was pretty good. We fed the ducks the whole time we were there, they were so cute to watch scramble for the food thrown to them. It was a real low key time (not a ton of fanfare you would expect for such a milestone birthday but that was about all she could handle physically but it was real nice). We had mixed berry cheesecake for dessert at home.

DMIL is a very special lady, so gentle, kind, loving - a real prayer warrior. In fact, God impressed on her to pray for me even before I was a reality to them. He told her to pray for her son's future wives; to prepare them-call them forth. I had no idea for all those years; but when I was told realized what a value that was and how much it was a true demonstration of God's love. I knew God was looking out for me but not that it spanned hundreds of miles as He held me close to His heart through her (and John because he was also praying for me). Believe it or not - I was praying for him too even before we knew one another. One of these days I may bore you (or inspire you) with our love story. Anyone wonder how we hooked up with me living in CA and him in TX? Well this blog post is about my DMIL so I will wait on that.

I will tell you that the year before John and I 'met' is the year my birth mom died of Lung Cancer. In fact it was a few weeks shy of the anniversary of her death that I made my home with John in Texas. One of the most special things my DMIL does for me is remember the anniversary of my mom's death every year (the day of she takes me to lunch, a way to not remind me of my loss but to honor my mom in treating me like a daughter should be treated and make me feel loved). I am humbled and so grateful for her thoughtfulness and endearing qualities as a mom. That is why it was not hard for me to begin calling her that. She is in no way a replacement for my birth mom, in fact Josephine (my mom) was 'Ma' to me and that she will remain. But God saw fit to be sure I was not without the blessing of a 'mom' in my life so that is what Donna (DMIL) is to me now. Pin It

15 comments on "Birthday Mom"

Angie Tieman on 1:00 PM CDT said...

Fabulous card! So glad you have a nice dml. I do too, so I guess we were blessed!

Julia Aston on 1:37 PM CDT said...

what a fun T shirt b'day card! I have these and there are limitless possibilities in the ways to use them!! A very moveing story about the power of your DMIL's love in your life Donna!

Kisha on 1:40 PM CDT said...

The cards you make are beautiful!! You inspire me to work harder at being good at card making...

Cat Tidwell on 1:57 PM CDT said...

What a blessing to have someone as special as you do in your life like that! It is a rare thing nowadays it seems. Thank you for sharing that wonderful touching story...it really touched me!

And the card is AWEsome as usual! I would love to have a shirt like that too, lol!

Vanessa on 2:16 PM CDT said...

What a sweet post about your MIL. I was a little choked up as I read to the end. She sounds like a wonderful person and a wonderful mother-in-law. Isn't it so comforting to know that we are resting on the prayers of others? What a sweet testimony of the Lord's caring for you.

By the way, your MIL is so young!

Your card is super cute, and I really like your DP.

Marilyn on 3:14 PM CDT said...

What a sweet post about your MIL - God has truly blessed you with a wonderful husband and MIL - and I love the card you made for her, just darling!

Sankari W. on 3:17 PM CDT said...

What an amazing story! You are truly blessed to have a MIL like that - your writing is so beautiful - you can feel the love between all of you so clearly when reading your story. I would love to hear your love story too! I always love hearing how two people fell in love - its so magical

your card is beautiful - love the photo corners that are the same material as the t-shit - your MIL is so lucky to receive a card made with so much love!

and I also never got to the chance to thank you for your sweet email - i will definitely have use it when i get Yoris - i love that little guy! Its been such a pleasure to surf your blog Donna - hope you are having a wonderful and wonder filled day!
best wishes,
Sankari

Jessie/knightrone on 8:48 PM CDT said...

She sounds very special!! Super cute card!!

Alex on 11:35 PM CDT said...

fabulous card Donna!! She sounds like a really special lady - how nice to have a MIL like that - mine is too!!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Lee on 12:40 AM CDT said...

I LOVE that photo of you!!! What a special time and I know how very special YOU are!! I think it's a wonderful story and I think you'd only inspire all of us by sharing whatever you're comfortable with! I also have a wonderful MIL who really does love me as a mom which I never had from my own! God does indeed provide!!!

And what a fun card!!! I can't believe how many cards I've seen and not one of them remotely the same with this fun set from Mel!!

Rose Ann on 1:08 PM CDT said...

Your MIL sounds like a very special lady, and I'm so happy you have her support and friendship!

Your card is so adorable too, and I love the paper!!

Melanie on 1:24 PM CDT said...

you tell the best stories...
((((((((((((DONNA)))))))))))

Anonymous said...

Love your card for your DMIL. How wonderful to have such a special relationship with her.

Carolina on 2:35 AM CDT said...

I'm so glad you have someone so special in your life...she sounds like an amazing lady and I'm such a firm believer that things happen and people enter your life for a reason. We might not know it at the time, but eventually all is revealed and all falls into place. Reading your post tonight has so warmed my heart and thanks so much for sharing this part of you with all of us. HUGS!!!

Linsey R on 9:44 AM CDT said...

how amazing, Donna. I'm very moved by this post. So truly sorry for the loss of your own Mother, yet so warmed by the way you and your MIL celebrate her honor every year. That is so special. You were meant to be with this family, I think. Your DH is lucky to have such an amazingly kind-hearted and faithful Mother, too. What a perfect match with you--a most special and awesome friend! Thanks for sharing this and the pic-you all look beautiuful and most of all, happy! Bless you all and happy belated birthday to your sweet MIL :)

Post a Comment