Friday, September 26, 2008

Go Confidently...


I love that sentiment in Asela's Botanical Dreams set by Gina K Designs.  'Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined." by Henry David Thoreau.  

I couldn't have chosen a more fitting sentiment for a framed gift I gave my best friend Lori at the ribbon cutting ceremony of her specialty cake shop opening last week.  What I could have done, though was be more prepared & made a matching card & gift wrap {and perhaps not have waited until the night before to make it} and had my camera ready for when she opened it so I could have captured her expression & tears of appreciation.  Instead, I had to excuse the lack of complete wrapping and engrave her reaction in my heart.  It was a sweet, sweet moment to share with her since I recall 8 years ago hearing her tell of her dream of owning her own cake shop.  Her face would light up (and still does) every time she talked about her latest delectable cake creation or the reaction of a happy bride or customer she encountered.  She has been working away at her dream (part-time) since prior to March of this year, because that was when she decided to take the leap of faith to do this full-time!    

Her cake shop, 'Classic Cakes by Lori' is located in Dripping Springs, west of Austin.  Here are members of the Chamber of Commerce, property owners and her husband, Dan behind her.  

Here is one of the display cases she has with some of her 'fake' cakes she totes to bridal extravaganzas & open houses around the area.  Carl the crab on the bottom right is a cake show winner.  

Here is a picture of us all (not that great of me & John, I think we were laughing & have scrunched eyes as a result).  We've weathered a lot of storms & celebrated a lot of victories over years as best friends - personally and individually and have all stuck by one another's sides.  We have so many wonderful, laughter-filled memories together.  John and I met Lori & Dan 8 years ago when we got involved in a motorcycle ministry.  We hung out all the time, riding to beautiful places, hanging out with wonderful people & enjoying one another's company.  We all have since moved on from that chapter in our lives but I knew from early on that nothing would stop us from being friends so that's why we continue to be best friends although there are no motorcyles anymore.  I am so proud of all the hard work these two put into making Lori's dream a reality! 

The next dream to work on is Dan's and I'm sure I will be sharing that when the time comes to celebrate it!  You will not believe it!  

Cardstock: Vintage Cream, Baroque Burgundy, Brushed Metallic Gold
Ink: Gold, Baroque Burgundy
Accessories: bride flowers, liquid pearls, rectangle nestabilities, metallic rub-on paste, willow tree friendship figurine with stand.  

By the way, this framed art & figurine were given a place of honor in her cake shop, in a beautiful cherry-wood curio cabinet as you walk in the door.  Right below the bust of King Tut, her 1st place winning cake in a cake competition.  

Pin It

23 comments on "Go Confidently..."

Catherine on 7:50 AM CDT said...

Donna, what a great gift with a perfect sentiment for someone who made their DREAMS come to REALITY. Love your your blog post to your dear friend, it actually made me cry...at 5:47AM :)

You are such a wonderful friend!
Hope you have a great weekend :)

Marilyn on 8:10 AM CDT said...

What an amazing tribute to your friend - I remember her making a cake for your birthday - so awesome that she has now opened her own store! Loved reading the story and seeing the lovely frame you made for her.

Dawn Easton on 8:18 AM CDT said...

Oh my Donna, that gift is perfect for your friend! Best of luck to her in this new adventure!!! sounds exciting!

Julia Aston on 8:45 AM CDT said...

what a perfect stamp set to use on this lovely gift for your friend! I wish I was near TX and could drop by! the cakes look beautiful and delicious!! Best of Luck to your friend!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) on 9:11 AM CDT said...

What an awesome gift, Donna! I'll bet she treasures it!

Alex on 11:21 AM CDT said...

Beautiful gift, beautiful story - Donna, this post warmed my heart this morning! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Deb Wood on 11:31 AM CDT said...

Congrats to your friend Donna, It's awesome that her dream finally came true!! Your gift is beautiful and deserves a place of honor!

Rose Ann on 11:48 AM CDT said...

Your framed artwork and figurine are a fantastic and meaningful gift for your wonderful friend!! Thank you for sharing your touching story and wonderful pictures!!

Christina Fischer on 1:14 PM CDT said...

What a perfect (and beautiful) gift for your friend!! Congratulations to her -- I hope her shop is a success!

Libby Hickson on 2:04 PM CDT said...

What a beautiful and perfect gift to give your friend - and such a nice story. I hope she has tons of success!

Monika/Buzsy on 3:43 PM CDT said...

Very pretty Donna! Love the colors. TFS!

Barbara Schram on 3:56 PM CDT said...

Oh my, this is a wonderful expression of love and friendship, Donna. How blessed you all are to have each other! Keep us posted on her business progress! Wish I was close to Austin!

Christi Flores on 4:15 PM CDT said...

What a fantastic gift Donna!! Congrats to your friends!!

Cat Tidwell on 5:07 PM CDT said...

What an awesome creation Donna, and congrats to you BF on reaching her dream! Not many of us get to do that, and such a joy to hear of ones doing it! I am sure she will treasure it the rest of her life!

Angie Tieman on 9:51 PM CDT said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful gift! Hope your friend does really well with her shop!

Lee on 12:16 PM CDT said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! LOL You have a heart of gold my friend!!! What a very special gift on your friend's special day!!! And when I do get down to visit I wanna go see her cakes too!!!!

Unknown on 7:47 PM CDT said...

What a sweet and beautiful gift Donna!! I'm sure it will be treasured forever! :)

Carolina on 10:11 PM CDT said...

Oh Donna, what a wonderful story. I so needed to read something this great today and love it when dreams come true for people. They are lucky to have you in their lives as you are to have them. I'm sure your gift will treasured for years to come!

Theresa Momber on 6:06 PM CDT said...

That is just the perfect sentiment for the occasion. I love your framed piece. So beautiful and thoughtful. Congrats to your friends.

Linsey R on 10:03 AM CDT said...

oh Donna, I'm gonna cry--I swear! What a special friendship you have with these lovely folks! Warms my heart. I'm so in awe of Lori, having the courage to go for her life dream and bringing it to fruition! And having you by her side along the way certainly doesn't hurt ;) It's sounds like a truly beautiful friendship. And now I'm curious about Dan's endeavors....hmmm, what could it be? Well, I'll say this--hold up your glasses (or in my case, coffee cup!) and CHEERS to Lori and Dan for all the success that is in thier futures! *clink!*

Melanie on 8:21 PM CDT said...

that's really cool, thanks for sharing pics, I'd like to go check it out some time with you and EAT CAKE!!!

Jessie/knightrone on 10:05 PM CDT said...

Absolutely fabulous, I love it!!! Congrats to your friend!!

Kristine on 12:26 PM CDT said...

What a sweet friend you are! That's so awesome that she's opening her own cake shop--that would be my dream--or was before carpul tunnel set in :( Anyway, I don't even know her, but I'm so excited for her!! By the looks of those "cakes" she's very talented and I'm sure business will boom! That's one thing good about this poor economy--people like to feel good in the midst of it all, so when there's something to celebrate, they'll order cake!! :)

Post a Comment