Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Altered Scripture Frame - Divine Design response



I found this gem of a frame at the Dollar Tree last week and figured from the looks of it, it could be altered. I was right - the little silver 'clips' pop right off & there are 2 cardboard mats in there. I covered both with Basic Grey paper - Blush & Infuse, I believe. I just realized I can cover the other 2 sides to make 4 different looks!! I printed up the scripture to go in the frame the perfect square to fit the flower pot from Baskets of Happiness by Gina K. I really love this set, because I love coloring & they are so nice, not just for Easter.


I made this in response to Lori Craig's Divine Design Challenge - posted on the 8th of each month. I am a month behind but will pick up the pace now that I have my inspiration.


I chose this Scripture (one that inspired me many years ago & to remind me to think anew about why I am where I am, that there is something bigger than me in all this) - Exodus 23: 20-22 God's Angel to Prepare the Way "See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him. If you listen carefully to what he says and do all that I say, I will be an enemy to your enemies and will oppose those who oppose you."


This scripture was a prompting from God in answer to my prayers before I moved to Texas to get married & start a new life (not that the current one was bad, it was just fine but I had lost my mom to lung cancer just 8 months before which was tough but I had tremendous support and God held me tight in the palm of His hands the whole time). I was single but had been praying about (and for) my future husband for a while. On March 1, 1997 I opened a webpage of a stranger sent to me by my friend. Little did I know the faceless stranger would become my dear husband and I would make a series of decisions in the months to come that would change my life forever. In just 6 weeks of talking on the phone, emailing and sending snail mail, he 'proposed' over the phone. This was after much prayer and talking about what the future may hold for us, I knew in my heart to trust God because He was the one who was leading us. I met John IRL on Weds June 25 and we were married on Sunday July 6 - just 2 days before I was flying back to CA. We are both Christians so it was not a decision we took lightly - sure we only had a little more than 3 months to get to know one another and only 10 days IRL but we knew that we knew that we knew - so all was well. I have to end this story here because there is so much more to say but I would go on forever. I just have to say (for my new readers) that we will celebrate our 11th anniversary {as if you couldn't count} this year and these years have been filled with so many things: love, learning, challenges, lay-offs, laughter, frustrations, trials, great memories, fun vacations, and so much more. John means 'The Lord is Gracious' and I believe He sure has been to me - because He gave me the gift of my beloved who loves me in spite of me. I wait in eager anticipation to many more years together and what they hold for us. Pin It

8 comments on "Altered Scripture Frame - Divine Design response"

Rose Ann on 4:16 AM CST said...

Your frames are gorgeous, Donna!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story! God bless you and your DH!!

Melanie on 8:19 AM CST said...

These are so pretty!! I have to check out this divine design challenge, sounds very cool!

Barbara Schram on 9:46 AM CST said...

These are wonderful frames...gotta love the dollar store! Thank you for sharing insight into you and your life...I admire those who can so eloquently put into words their story.

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas on 11:35 AM CST said...

Absolutely beautiful story. I am so glad you found the such a Christian man. I am hoping to find this someday. I was married for 17 1/2 years, and my husband went through the motions, but then decided he did not believe in god, and left his family..I so hope to find this one day..congrats on 11 years of marriage, and I wish you a lifetime of happiness. I strongly believe in raising my children with Christian beliefs. Chris

Lee on 10:26 PM CST said...

What gorgeous frames!! I love the images and scriptures you chose!! And I certainly loved reading a little more about you as one of your new readers!! You are very inspiring and uplifting and I'm so glad I got to "meet" you!!

Anonymous said...

Does John still have the original website archived somewhere? I still remember the site...and what prompted me to send it to you. Reading his words was like reading your biography. Which of course, is rather amazing, since you two had never met. Hey, this just reminded me of a story I read recently on Oprah.com. Check this out http://www2.oprah.com/omagazine/200802/omag_200802_gorman.jhtml.
Funny, I didn't make the connection then, but really, what happened with the two of you is the same as what happened in this story.

Anonymous said...

To clarify my previous comment - comparing your story w/the one on the Oprah website - I was comparing 'the list' to John's comments on his website. I was just re-reading the story & realized the beginning of the story really isn't what I was comparing...it's 'the list' :) :)

Meda on 4:52 PM CST said...

This is such a great idea! I have to find some frames like these and make easter gifts for my friends. Thanks for sharing. I'm always in the look for projects that can reveal God.

Post a Comment